Monday, March 24, 2014

Soon to be Freaking Out, I Think

This year I will be attending at least three conventions: Romantic Times Booklovers Convention (RT), Lori Foster Reader/Author Get Together (RAGT), and Dragon*Con (DC).

I’m all set up as attending as an author for RT and RAGT. I plan on selling and signing copies of the anthologies at RT (I’ll let people know My Sunny Vampire is available electronically--not that I can sign a copy) and haven’t exactly decided what I’ll do at RAGT (hopefully I’ll hear from the publicist from my publisher so I can figure out what I CAN do before the deadline to submit books has come). And while I usually attend DC for fun and writing information, this year I actually put in an application to be a Guest.

Aack! What was I thinking??

Just filling out the application unnerved me. Am I expecting them to pay my transportation there? Or my lodging? (Uhh…no, but heck, wouldn’t THAT be something?) Do I have an assistant I want to accompany me? (While my daughter would love nothing more than to brag about that, I didn’t list anyone.) They cap the Guest spots at 400. I’m sure I’ll be way down at the bottom, added only if they haven’t reached their limit. Heck, I’m not even sure WHAT I would do. I was just kind of looking to be on a panel. And maybe get a special badge! And maybe…you know…get reimbursed my membership fee.

So if I don’t get picked, no biggie. If I do…yeah, that’s when I’ll start freaking out. But hey, I gotta get used to doing the uncomfortable if I hope to have any chance at being a success at this writing thing.

So…are you attending any conventions this year? Let me tell you, I’m so glad I attended them BEFORE I became published. Sure does take some of the stress off, since I’m going in knowing what they’re like.

Stacy

 

13 comments:

JeffO said...

I have no conference plans at the moment, but I hope to go to one some day.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I'd say start with a small one, but--haha--I didn't. RT was my first (probably over 2000 attendees), but it was close to home at the time. I made a lot of friends from that convention and it taught me a lot.

Maria Zannini said...

Good luck getting in. It's good experience.

I find the bigger the con, the less they offer as compensation unless you're a big name. But it never hurts to ask. :)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - I assume they'd only offer compensation if they asked ME to attend. :) That'll be a day, wouldn't it?

The Happy Whisk said...

This is exciting and scary, I totally get that. But if we want to sell, we need to move out of our comfort zone. I feel your pain and excitement. Wishing you the best.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Thanks, Ivy. Yeah, it's hard to get out of that comfort zone. Of course, with my husband pushing me, it kind of helps! Haha!! :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Good for you for pushing outside that comfort zone!!! I'm not close to any conferences and the timing is usually when I'm in school so I won't be going yet!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jemi - They do seem to be held around school time. Wonder why that is?

Sandra Cox said...

3 conferences! That's great! I try to do one a year and I'm not sure which conference that will be this year.
Guess who I got a contract from......big smile.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Sandra - RT is the special one this year (and the most expensive!). Lori Foster is only 40 minutes away (although I will be spending the weekend there with a friend since she lives further away). And my daughter would never forgive me if I didn't go to Dragon*Con! Well, I'd like to THINK she'd never forgive me. :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

I wanted to go to RT this year! I hear it is so fun!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennifer - RT is fun. Of course, it's exhausting, too! I'm glad I'll have my hubby with me. He'll help me unwind, I'm sure! :)

Michael Seese said...

Like most things in my life, conventions / conferences will have to wait until the kids are out the the constantly-drive-me-insane phase.