Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Wednesday Reads And a Day Shot to Heck

Yesterday I filed our federal taxes. Took all gosh-darn day! And if H&R Block software didn’t charge $19.99 to file the state tax, I would have filed that, too. At least it’s done, so I only have to insert the numbers into the state e-file form (which is free--go figure!). I’ll be so glad when I can get back into writing. Maybe today??

Anway, here’s what I read during the week:

Mar 12: “Twisted” by Rebecca Zanetti, a paranormal romance novella. Blurb from Goodreads: Maggie is a wolf shifter who was captured and experimented on by the Kurjans. Now that a cure has finally been found for shifters (although not for vampire mates or witches), she can concentrate on creating a new life for herself and finally accepting that her memories are gone forever. Most memories, that is. Sometimes in the hazy world between dreams and dawn, she hears a Scottish voice, dark and deep, that sounds suspiciously like wolf-shifter Terrent Vilks. A man she happened to anger by kidnapping a few years back. Hey, it was for a good cause. Terrent Vilks knows more than he’s let on for the past several years. After digging for answers, he knows exactly why the demons want Maggie dead. And he remembers his past with Maggie…very well. She is finally where he wants her. Now all he has to do is discover what exactly the Kurjans did to her, beat the demons into so much submission they leave her alone, and get her to fall in love with him. Again. Good thing he’s used to wrangling monsters. This series is becoming a “must read” one for me. That, or I was really hungry for a paranormal romance. I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads.

Mar 16. “Fashionably Dead” by Robyn Peterman, a comedic paranormal romance. Blurb from Goodreads: Vampyres don’t exist. They absolutely do not exist. At least I didn’t think they did ‘til I tried to quit smoking and ended up Undead. Who in the hell did I screw over in a former life that my getting healthy equates with dead? Now I’m a Vampyre. Yes, we exist whether we want to or not. However, I have to admit, the perks aren’t bad. My girls no longer jiggle, my ass is higher than a kite and the latest Prada keeps finding its way to my wardrobe. On the downside, I’m stuck with an obscenely profane Guardian Angel who looks like Oprah and a Fairy Fighting Coach who’s teaching me to annihilate like the Terminator. To complicate matters, my libido has increased to Vampyric proportions and my attraction to a hotter than Satan’s underpants killer rogue Vampyre is not only dangerous . . . it’s possibly deadly. For real dead. Permanent death isn’t on my agenda. Avoiding him is my only option. Of course, since he thinks I’m his, it’s easier said than done. Like THAT’S not enough to deal with, all the other Vampyres think I’m some sort of Chosen One. Holy Hell, if I’m in charge of saving an entire race of blood suckers, the Undead are in for one hell of a ride. I labeled it a romance, but there’s no HEA or HFN, so probably more like romantic elements??  And the reason there isn’t any happy ending is because it’s the first in a series, so there’s this huge cliff hanger. I did enjoy the story, though. It started slow, but once Ethan showed up, I became hooked. Hot, hot, hot! I knocked a star off due to that cliff hanger and gave it 4 stars on Goodreads.
 
So...have you filed your taxes? Does it take you all day to do yours, too?

Happy reading!

Stacy

 

5 comments:

Jennette Marie Powell said...

We use an accountant thank goodness. Have to, with all our businesses. But I help a friend who can't use a computer. The OH e-file is easy; you shouldn't have any problems with that.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - I was an accountant and I still hate doing taxes. Yeah, the Ohio site was easy enough, just a pain that I had to re-enter all that information again. And then do it again on the city site. At least it's finished. Phew!

The Happy Whisk said...

Sad to say I haven't done ours yet. I meant to do it last weekend. Shooting for this weekend.

Happy Spring Equinox!

LD Masterson said...

The Vampyre story sounded fun until you mentioned the cliff hanger. I think ending a book with a cliff hanger is a rip off, unless they're giving the second book for free.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - Glad to know I'm not the only one who kept putting it off. I was going to do it before I went on vacation, but we see how that went! Haha!

Linda - The story was fun (even though the fashion stuff kind of went over my head). The ending sorely disappointed me. I guess there are people out there who don't mind cliff hangers. I'm not one of them.