Friday, May 1, 2015

Ah, the Life of a Teenager

And that teenager would be me. Yeah, I’m lazy. Yeah, I have some more diary fun for you. This entry is longer than earlier ones because I had upgraded to writing in an 8-1/2 by 11 inch notebook.

May 8, 1974, Wednesday, 10:01pm

Hello! Something good happened to me! Rick sort of kind of talked to me. I was going to get my clarinet in the band room and Rick was standing in front of the instrument room. I went in got my instrument then heard a BAM! Rick asked someone to throw some keys to him and he missed and they went into the room. If the person who threw them was a bit farther to the left, they might have hit me, but I doubt it. Anyway, I headed for the door. Rick picked up the keys and looked at me saying “Oooh, close” (or something like that). He was smiling at me, too. How wonderful! Don’t you think so? I certainly do. I wonder what would have happened if they (the keys) hit me? I guess I’ll just never know (at least for today)

Tonight I saw “Play it Again Sam” on Channel 100. It was good.

Carol has always been calling me something. Either Thurbey or Teenie Weenie Thurbini. So I thought of a name for her (McIntosh is her last name). It’s McIntoshwishywashy. I hope I can get her embarrassed with it.

Tomorrow I’ll finally transfer out of non verbal communication. Yippee!

I’ll write tomorrow! Bye

 
Notes about the above:

1) I was 16 when I wrote that (a junior in high school).

2) Channel 100 was the precursor to HBO.

3) My maiden name is Thurber. For some reason people liked to play around with it.

4) I was far from being Teenie Weenie!

5) Non verbal communication was an English class I was taking where you weren’t allowed to talk. Honest! You’d think that would have been the perfect class for me, wouldn’t you?

6) This encounter with Rick happened after I had asked him to the Sadie Hawkins dance (it had only taken me about two hours to make that phone call!). Unfortunately, someone beat me to it, so he had to decline.

7) I WANTED those keys to hit me.

*********

Tomorrow I’ll be attending my book club meeting. Yeah, I belong to a book club. No, we don’t assign books to read. We just like to talk about books (and other things). Normally, about 5 of us show up and we meet in Barnes & Noble or the Panera Bread across the street. But tomorrow we’re having a guest author visiting: Kallypso Masters. I’m not familiar with her work, but she apparently has lots of fans in the area. We had to move our meeting to the Dingle House Pub and Grub. They apparently have a meeting room, or a large enough area for us to meet. Now, the Facebook event says 39 are going. I highly doubt they all show up (heck, on those meetings where 5 of us show, it always says around 20 will). Anyway, it should be an interesting event, but I’m guessing it won’t be the fun chat fest it usually is.

So… Got big plans this weekend? Or do you plan to just sit back and nap?

Whatever, have a great one!

Stacy

4 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

Sounds like great fun at the book club. And my gosh, your journal entries make good reading.

Yes, bought our tickets for Avengers early Saturday morning at the Movie House for a fiver each.

No Friday night movie for us, noppers, we're going to the 10AM showing.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - I want to see Avengers this weekend, too. I'm hoping Sunday. My daughter already saw it (she's in London on vacation) and loved it! I don't usually go at night to the theatre, either (unless it's $5.50 Tuesdays or I'm crazy and do a sneak peek with my daughter). Cheaper to go to the matinee.

The Happy Whisk said...

We don't do late movies either. But when I found out at that Saturday morning was only five bucks, I was thrilled.

Not so thrilled with the rash, after, but all in all, a great day.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - I wish our movie was only five bucks. I may wait for $5.50 Tuesdays from now on. Matinee was $7.90. In a theatre being remodeled, too. But I enjoyed the flick, so it wasn't all bad.