Monday, September 21, 2015

What is it With Me and Watches Lately?

Last year during Dragon*Con my watch died. That’s when I realized just how much I use that thing! When I returned home, I got the battery replaced and made a note to make sure to have the battery changed before the next Dragon*Con.

Then in May I went to the Romantic Times Booklovers Convention. My watch died. Really? That was two conventions I was LOST during. Pulling out my iPhone to check the time just doesn’t work for me because I keep my phone in my purse, not my pocket.

When I got home, I took the watch back to the store I got my battery (they guarantee them for a year). She said the battery was fine but the contact was dirty. If cleaning it didn’t work, then the watch was probably broken. Well, she cleaned it (free of charge, bless her) and it worked. I was happy!

Then August came around. My watch kept stopping every now and then. I had to face the fact: my precious Steelers watch, a watch I’ve had for close to 10 years, was dying. Whaaa!

I could have gone out and bought a watch to replace it, but a watch makes for a nice Christmas present (I picked out this pretty Penguins watch I want), so until then, hubby gave me his Steelers watch (because he doesn’t wear them anymore—he’d rather use his phone or ask ME the time). Yeah, it’s big, but that didn’t matter. What mattered was that it kept time.

Until I got on the cruise.

Yep, you guessed it. The watch died on me! I was soooo frustrated. Ship’s time and local time were not the same while in Canada and my phone picked up local time. Think my brain always realized they were off? Nope. Argh!

Next cruise/convention I will pack TWO watches. And spare batteries. I will not be unprepared again.

I know you were probably hoping I’d have posted some pictures of the cruise. Let me tell you, you’re lucky I’m posting this. And that’s only because writing about my watch dying made for some fun writing. Haha! I promise to have some cruise pictures posted by Friday. PROMISE!

So… What do you feel lost without?

Happy Monday!

Stacy

10 comments:

JeffO said...

I haven't worn a watch in about 12 years. This could explain why I'm never on time for anything....

Maria Zannini said...

I haven't worn a watch in years, even when I worked. I stopped using them when I realized almost everywhere I was had a clock on the wall or on my computer. Then cell phones came around and put the nail in the coffin. :)

re: cell phones
I'm pretty sure there's an app that will give you the correct time for whatever time zone you're in.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - So, THAT's why my hubby doesn't want to wear a watch, huh? Haha!

Maria - I hate most of the apps. Really do. None of them work the way I think they should. Which means: EASY! If I didn't feel this need to stay connected, I wouldn't even have my phone. Haha!

The Happy Whisk said...

I love that he asks you for the time. That bit made me smile. Good stuff.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I used to wear watches all the time, and seemed they were always dying. When I got my first cell phone, I quit watches. Now it's the phone I feel lost without!

Unknown said...

I love watches, but battery was always a prob. Then DH bought me a "Disney" Citizen Eco Drive. and now I'm downright spoiled!
One day in the sun and it runs for 6 mos. --no battery! Check'em out for your Christmas present wish list. Citizen has some really nice ones: they have a woman's sports watch I have my eye on...--Tanja

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - He asks me the time all the time! Even when he has his phone in his hand. Lazy, that's what I say! :)

Jennette - I sometimes feel lost without my phone, too. Not as much as I do without my watch, though.

Tanja - Sounds like a great watch. But doesn't that require going out into the sun at least once every 6 months??? Hahahahaha! Still, I might see if they have a Penguins watch. I want a Penguins watch. Badly! :)

Tj6james6 said...

Now, maybe I'll get email notifications! Grrrr. You appear in my RSS feed but since every other blog I follow ends up in my email at some point I never think to check the feed *sigh*.
Any way: I don't use a watch any more. They're not allowed at work for safety reasons so I simply stopped wearing any sort of watch or jewellery. I miss them sometimes.
It's getting harder and harder to find a watch I can actually wear any way. My body chemistry and anything that is not a wind up watch do not mix. They gain massive amounts of time on me. Yes, it's genetic.
What would I be lost without? *snort* my cell phone since it always has the time, my ereader and the case I carry my driver's licence and other cards in.
Since you're watch is forever dying why not carry a portable alarm clock when you travel and leave it set to your local time?

Stacy McKitrick said...

Robin - My grandmother couldn't wear watches, either. Killed the watch after one day, every time! Carrying a portable alarm clock wouldn't help the fact that I like having the correct time on my arm. Do I like to whine? You betcha!

The Happy Whisk said...

He sounds like a funny hubby. Love that.