Friday, December 2, 2016

Married for 37 Years—Shooting for 74


Yesterday was my anniversary. Hubby and I have been married for 37 years. 37 years! Gosh, it really doesn’t seem that long. I hope we have another 37. That’ll put me at 96 and him at 100. It’s doable, don’t you think? See… we’re only half way through our marriage! I like that.

As you can see in the picture, we didn’t have a fancy wedding. Married at the court house by the Judge. License cost $8.00, which I paid (Hubby left his money at home—a likely excuse). Man, my parents got off easy, didn’t they?

Yesterday we didn’t give each other a present. We never have. On our first anniversary we decided to get something for the house—a clock. We’ve been doing stuff like that ever since. Well… until we didn’t have anything left to get for the house. Now we go on cruises (we leave on another in a week!). Seems we’re always on a cruise around our anniversary anyway, so why not make it count as a present?

Last night we had an excellent meal, too. At McCormick and Schmicks. And it didn’t cost us a dime. Fidelity Investments invited us to a seminar and Hubby wanted to go. I’m glad we did. Ate the most excellent steak. I told him we could go back there next year for our anniversary. Their food is GOOD!

Oh, and Hubby enjoyed the seminar. I was just along for the meal. J

So… If you’re married, how do you celebrate your wedding anniversary? Did you have a big fancy wedding or something simple (and cheap) like we did?

Happy Friday!
 
Stacy

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Happy anniversary! I hope you do double that number.
We had a small wedding. Tiny. Why blow all that money on the wedding when it's more fun to blow it on the honeymoon?

JeffO said...

Congratulations and happy anniversary! With medical technology today, another 37 is very doable!

We are not big celebrators. Mostly just dinner out. But 25 is lurking around the corner, so I suppose we'll have to do something....

Maria Zannini said...

Happy anniversary!

We married at the courthouse. I shocked everyone when I insisted we not waste the money on a fancy show and dress. I was frugal even then. LOL!

I hope you have 37 more years.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

woot woot

a huge congrats.

Dina and I are making it 30 this month.

(Wish I found her the first time around)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - I'd love to say we spent the money on our honeymoon, but we didn't really have one of those, either. By February we were in the process of transferring from Arizona to Alaska. One of the reasons we hitched when we did. We didn't want the Army to separate us!

Jeff - For out 25th anniversary we went to Hawaii. That was an AWESOME trip. I so want to go back.

Maria - I got my dress at Montgomery Ward. Remember those? I wasn't frugal, just cheap. Haha!

Mac - Hey, I'm Hubby's second wife. He learned from his mistakes! :)

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Big congrats, Stacy!

I had a fancy wedding, but kept a lot of costs down by making things myself, getting my dress at a closeout sale, knowing the photographer, etc. We don't do much to celebrate, usually just a nice dinner out. On milestone years, a nice vacation (#20 was Puerto Rico). Enjoy your cruise!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - I suppose if I had TIME, I would have had a larger wedding. But he was on orders for Alaska and we needed to marry quick so I could get orders, too. Worked out good! :)

Jennifer Lee Rossman said...

Happy anniversary! It might not have been fancy, but you two looked very nice. I like your dress.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennifer - I still have that dress, although the elastic is shot and no way would I fit in it now. Some things you just can't get rid of, though. :)