Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Wednesday Reads and I got a new Phone

First off… I realized I never told you what I thought about “Arrival” (the movie I went to see on Black Friday). I left the theatre a little bewildered and wondered if Hubby and Daughter enjoyed the flick. I found it funny that they both loved it. Okay, whew. But me? I liked it, but didn’t quite get it. At least, not until I discussed it with Hubby and Daughter. It is a thought-provoking flick, that’s for sure. And very quiet. Really. QUIET. Hubby liked how “real” it seemed—like that’s what we could expect upon first contact.

Here’s what I read the past week:

November 25: “The Chemist” by Stephenie Meyer, a thriller at 518 pages. Blurb from book: She used to work for the U.S. government, but very few people ever knew that. An expert in her field, she was one of the darkest secrets of an agency so clandestine it doesn’t even have a name. And when they decided she was a liability, they came for her without warning. Now she rarely stays in the same place or uses the same name for long. They’ve killed the only other person she trusted, but something she knows still poses a threat. They want her dead, and soon. When her former handler offers her a way out, she realizes it’s her only chance to erase the giant target on her back. But it means taking one last job for her ex-employers. To her horror, the information she acquires makes her situation even more dangerous. Resolving to meet the threat head-on, she prepares for the toughest fight of her life but finds herself falling for a man who can only complicate her likelihood of survival. As she sees her choices being rapidly whittled down, she must apply her unique talent in ways she never dreamed of. I don’t know how Stephenie Meyer does it, but she managed to get me obsessed with another book. I did not want to put this one down. I’ve read some snarky reviews that compare the main character to Jason Bourne, but I didn’t see it. I thought it was well written. Enough so, the characters stayed in my head long after I had finished.

November 29: “Switching Hour” by Robyn Peterman, Magic & Mayhem Book One, a paranormal comedy novella at 116 pages. Blurb from book: Released from the magic pokey and paroled with limited power is enough to make any witch grumpy. However, if you throw in a recently resurrected cat, a lime-green Kia and a sexy egotistical werewolf, it’s enough to make a gal fly off the edge. Not to mention a mission…with no freaking directions. So here I sit in Asscrack, West Virginia trying to figure out how to complete my mysterious mission before All Hallow’s Eve when I’ll get turned into a mortal. The animals in the area are convinced I’m the Shifter Whisperer (whatever the hell that is) and the hotter than asphalt-in-August werewolf thinks I’m his mate. Now apparently I’m slated to save a bunch of hairy freaks of nature? If they think I’m the right witch for the job, they’ve swallowed some bad brew. I enjoyed Robyn’s first book so much (which was a contemporary), I’ve been trying her paranormal stuff. The first book in the vampire series ended on a cliffhanger and I gave that up. At least this one doesn’t do that, although the story is clearly the beginning of a series. Thing is, I’m not so sure I want to read any more. It’s possible I just don’t get her humor (I apparently don’t get a lot of people’s humor), but it might have helped if I liked the main character more.

Monday was a busy day for me. I was at the fitness center for a little over four hours doing my best to be seen with my books (a couple of ladies showed interest, so not too shabby). Then I headed to the mall to get new iPhones for me and Daughter. I’m glad I made an appointment for 3:30. I could have waited for hours and I was meeting friends for dinner at six.

Both of our iPhone 5s were unreliable, what with the battery draining too quickly or not charging sufficiently. Now we’re owners of the iPhone SE (hers in slate grey because—BLACK, mine in rose gold because—PINK) and our old covers even fit (no new expense there). It’s been a pain getting the phone set up, though. I have to upload all my apps again, then log into them (and hope to remember the passwords!). And then OCD me has to have them in the same order as before.

This is why I hate changing phones. TOO MUCH WORK!

Oh wait. Daughter said she knows how to copy old phone data to new phone. We’ll see. Regardless, I hope to own this phone a good long time, since it’s not a hand-me-down.

So… How’s your reading coming along? Do you read more during this time of the year? I think I do. It’s not like you can go outside and play in the dark. Well, you can, but it’s COLD out there! Plus, it’s DARK! J

Happy Reading!

Stacy

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

There are ways to play in the dark but you don't go outside for them...
Arrival was a thinking film. What a mind-blowing ending. And yes, quietly mind-blowing.
Hope you get everything set on your new phone.

JeffO said...

I've only read the Twilight series. I think a lot of the snark directed Meyer's way is rooted in jealousy: "she's a bad writer but she was so successful--I hate her!" (and to be fair, there were plenty of problems, with content and writing, in the Twilight books, though she did entertain, and that is the whole point, isn't it?) I would give her a read, if the topic interested me.

I found my "fourth quarter reading" has slowed down a bit. Partly because I was waiting FOREVER for books from the library, partly because I read an interesting but slow moving non-fiction on the Tea Party (the recent movement, not the Revolutionary War kind), partly because of work on my own work, partly because of hockey season.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - Looks like my phone is all set. My daughter is great!!

Jeff - Hockey season does kind of take over you life, doesn't it? I guess I should be glad I can't get all the Penguins games on at home.

Maria Zannini said...

I'd heard Arrival was the kind of movie you had to see more than once to absorb everything.

re: phone
I let the people at the phone store switch everything and setup my email accounts. They do it within seconds.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - The clerk at the phone store was able to copy over my pictures and contacts, but that was it. You'd think the apps would have gone over, but apparently my daughter just had to do a complete back up of my old phone (via iTunes) and then restore all that data to the new one.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Setting up a new phone is a pain! Even with Motorolla's migration app, I still had to download all the other apps that don't come preinstalled.

I read the same amount now as in the summer - not much to do outside, but more to do around the house with the holidays coming up.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - I was so glad daughter remembered how to save all my apps. Sure saved me some time. Lots of time.