Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Wednesday Reads and Let the Healing Begin

Hubby’s last radiation treatment was yesterday. Yay! Now he’s on the road to healing. I sure hope it’s a short trip. He needs some encouragement.

Hubby’s been getting hydrated every day now, so I’m getting more reading done. Here’s what I read the past week:

Book #1

Dates read: April 15-19
Title: “Wolf Tales 10”
Year of publication: 2010
Author: Kate Douglas
Genre: Erotic paranormal romance
Series: Wolf Tales #10
# of Pages: 277
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Book: The Chanku are gifted with more power—of mind, body, and soul—than the most superior of humans. Yet even these exceptional beings cannot change the laws of nature…or destiny. And when one loses his human life mate to a tragic accident, he is shattered by grief he never imagined possible…
   The only thing worse than losing his love is knowing that her death was caused by the incompetence of a goddess supposedly possessed of timeless wisdom. The justice dealt for the goddess’s horrible mistake is a demotion—from immortal to human—and the charge of filling the missing space in the Montana pack. But while some accept her quickly, not all are so willing…
   It is time for Anton, Stefan, and Adam to test the newcomer to see if she can withstand the heights of ecstasy these Chanku men will show her—and to discover whether, when faced with the ultimate sacrifice, she will make the right choice…
My thoughts: Not my favorite. Don’t know if it’s because it’s so late in the series, or because of the death of a major character, or if my head just isn’t in the right place. I do want to finish the series (there are 12 books and I own them), but I’m thinking maybe I want to wait until June to do that.

Book #2

Dates read: April 20-22
Title: “Compulsion”
Year of publication: 2015
Author: Allison Brennan
Genre: Suspense/Thriller
Series: #2 in the Maxine Revere series
# of Pages: 446
Paper or plastic: Mass market paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Book: Investigative reporter Maxine Revere has a theory: Maybe five New York City murders for which Adam Bachman is being tried are just one part of his master plan? In probing another case, involving a missing couple, Max uncovers striking similarities to Bachman’s MO. It seems likely that Bachman wasn’t working alone…but how can she prove it?
   Max wins a coveted pre-trial interview with Bachman, whose disarming composure is combined with uncomfortable knowledge of Max’s own past. She leaves the room convinced that Bachman is involved in her missing-persons case—but the D.A. refuses to hear it. With no physical evidence, Max must rely on her own wits and investigative prowess to dig deep into Bachman’s psyche and past. But as she gets closer to the truth, she doesn’t realize that she’s walking down a road that has been paved just for her. And at the end, the killer is waiting…
My thoughts: Well, the title was appropriate. Every time I put the book down, I was compelled to pick it back up!! J This is turning out to be a really great series.

Book #3

Dates read: April 23-24
Title: “Raging Heat”
Year of publication: 2014
Author: Richard Castle
Genre: Crime Drama/Mystery
Series: #6 in the Nikki Heat series
# of Pages: 290
Paper or plastic: Hardback
How obtained: Purchased (for my daughter)
Blurb from Goodreads: An illegal immigrant falls from the sky and NYPD Homicide Detective Nikki Heat's investigation into his death quickly captures the imagination of her boyfriend, the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, Jameson Rook. When he decides to work the case with Heat as his next big story, Nikki is at first happy to have him ride-along. Yes, she must endure Rook's usual wild conspiracy speculations and adolescent wisecracks, but after reuniting following his recent assignment abroad, she's glad for the entertainment, the chance to bounce ideas, and just to be close to him again and feel the old spark rekindle. But when Rook's inquiry concludes that Detective Heat has arrested the wrong man for the murder, everything changes.
   Balancing her high stakes job with a complicated romance has been a challenge ever since Nikki fell for the famous reporter. Now, her relationship lurches from mere complexity into sharp conflict over the most high-risk case of her career. Set against the raging force of Hurricane Sandy as it pounds New York, Heat battles an ambitious power broker, fights a platoon of urban mercenaries, and clashes with the man she loves. Detective Heat knows her job is to solve murders. She just worries that solving this one will be the death of her relationship.
My thoughts: This is still a fun series to read (or has turned back into a fun series—not sure I cared for the last one as much). Love the inside jokes and Rook has some really funny lines (but then, he usually does).

Tomorrow the Penguins start Round 2 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs against the Capitals. I’ll be at RT (book convention) during two of the games in this round. And trust me, if I’m not doing anything, I’ll find someplace to watch the game. Which means… I better pack me some Penguins shirts!

So… How’s your reading coming along? Ahead, behind, or right on schedule? I’m ahead for once. Yay!

Happy Reading!

Stacy

7 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Hurray for the end of treatment. Now he can really heal and get back to enjoying life.

I'm wishing him all the best for a speedy recovery. Hugs to you both.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

My reading is probably behind - seems the last couple took me forever to finish.

Yay to being done with radiation, and here's hoping your husband recovers quickly!

LD Masterson said...

I'm still keeping your husband in my prayers.

I never got into the Richard Castle books although I loved the TV series - until the writers destroyed it during the last couple seasons. Maybe the books would get the bad taste out of my mouth from how the series ended.

The Happy Whisk said...

Road to healing!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - Happy the treatments ended. Found out today he might feel worse before he feels better (since radiation sticks around for awhile). At least he doesn't have to go through those zappings anymore.

Jennette - I find if it takes longer to read a book, it's most likely because it's not riveting (to me, anyway). I seem to find time to read books that are hard to put down. :)

Linda - I loved Castle. These books are like the show, but not. And frankly, they don't have to end, either, just because the TV show did. It's not like they're paying the actors--only the writer to write it!

Ivy - It sure is. Can't wait to get to the end. :)

JeffO said...

Cheers to your husband's last treatment, and good thoughts for a fast recovery!

I've got no dog left in the hockey fight anymore, so my reading and writing should get back on schedule (in truth, I can watch almost any team, any time, but with the Bruins out, the compulsion is gone). Enjoy the rest of your week!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I did root for your Bruins just for you (even though a lot (A LOT) of Penguins fans don't care for the team--of course they don't care for any other team--haha!). I also rooted for the Blackhawks (another team I do like). They're both out now, so the Pens are it for me. Keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed they repeat! That would be sooooo awesome. :)