Friday, March 19, 2010

I Even Shock Myself

I’m excited.

Last Sunday I actually read some of our newspaper. I don’t usually do this. I’m usually writing or reading a book, but for some reason, I decided to scan through the paper. Boy, am I glad I did.

You see, there was an article about a short-story contest being held. That got my attention. I wrote a short story! So I checked out the guidelines.

Shoot! It had to be no more than 1800 words. My short story was 3500. Too big (and no, I wasn’t chopping it). So why not write another? Hmmm, why not?

The only problem is I couldn’t think of what to write about (and in 1800 words or less). Then I remembered an idea my husband jokingly threw out one day; an idea for another book, no less. “Write about a Ferris wheel,” he said. Yeah – a whole book about a Ferris wheel? I don’t think so. But a short story – that I could do!

So on that Sunday afternoon (and it was after 3:00 when I got started), I set to write a story with a Ferris wheel in it. By dinner (which was supposed to be at 5:00, but I didn’t get started on it until 6:00 – that’s what happens when I write), I had a story. In 1797 words. I was pumped!

I read it to my husband. He was impressed! I took it to my writer’s group. They enjoyed it (and gave some suggestions to make it better – revised at 1792 words). I’m ready to submit. And after the contest ends, whether or not it wins and gets published in the paper, I will post it here for you to read (and if it wins and gets published in the paper: I’m posting the LINK). Because I am proud of that story and I want to share it with everyone!

1 comment:

DL Hammons said...

I can't wait to read it!