Sunday, May 1, 2011

Editing and Reading

I'm finding editing to be a whole lot less stressful now that I set a goal for myself. It's a whole lot more fun, too.

I want to get the first edit of "Memories" done by the end of May (no later than, anyway). So I was back to the calculator. How many pages per day would that entail? Granted, I tend to add pages in my first round of editing (because my first draft is rough), so I would have to take that into account, too. Still, 10 pages per day seemed like a nice round number. Doable, too.

Now, after I've hit the 10 page mark (or the 70 pages per week – since there are some days when I'm just not able to get to my book), I will allow myself to do other things. Not chores (those usually have to come before writing/editing), but fun things. Like watching "Vampire Diaries" (I record those shows to watch when the husband isn't home) or reading.

Yesterday I had reached my page goal (and am only 5 pages short of my weekly goal – I still have today since my week runs Mon-Sun), which was a feat in itself. With a hair appointment in the morning (must hide those grey hairs), and mowing the yard in the afternoon (finally!), and meeting friends for dinner (of which we monopolized the table for 3½ hours), it's amazing I got any editing done at all. But I did (takes a bow) and decided to spend the rest of the night reading.

I started reading "The Vampire and the Virgin" by Kerrelyn Sparks on Thursday. Normally, it takes me a week to read a book (since I usually only read during my lunch hour). I finished it last night. I haven't finished a book that fast in soooo long. I loved getting lost in the story (and that's very easy for me to do with her books). Heck, I just love her books!

I hope one day someone will say that about my books.

3 comments:

Mary Beth Engle said...

I love her books as well, she's definitely one of my favorite authors. Christine Feehan is another, the newest book in her leopard series came out on Tuesday and I was up all night finishing it.

Cograts on setting yourself a goal! I don't do well with goals and deadlines, they tend to make me freeze up completely and get nothing done. Instead I've just set a wide guideline that for one hour every day I will do something pertaining to my books whether it be writing, edits, begging reviews, etc. So far I'm doing good with it and I'm another 1,400 words into my WIP just from my lunch hours at work.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Hey Mary! Nice to see you at Wal*Mart today :)

It's good that you're finding time to write - however you go about it. Good job on the 1400 words.

K.A. Krantz said...

Congrats on being in the editing phase!