Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Nashville - Part II (Grand Ole Opry)

Having never been to Nashville (not even driven through it), I knew we needed to attend at least one concert (show) at the Grand Ole Opry. None of us are country music fans (although I do like The Dixie Chicks), but going to Nashville and not the Opry just didn't seem right. So before we left, we checked the web to see what was showing during our stay there.

The web doesn't really specify what kind of show you're seeing. I just assumed it was a concert, because only one act was listed. For Saturday, Josh Turner was performing; for Sunday, Steel Magnolias. Do you know who Josh Turner is? I never heard of him before then. But he sure LOOKED good, so hey – he won! (This picture of him on the big screen isn't the best, but it's as close as I could get!)

Instead of one performer, what we got instead was a variety of acts. Old and new. Vince Gill was the only name I recognized. Four half-hour sets, each with two to three acts singing one to two songs, all live on the radio/internet. With commercials, even. Our seats weren't the greatest (we didn't really care where we sat, we just wanted to experience it), but the show was more than any of us expected. Funny and entertaining. I highly recommend going if you're ever visiting the city. It was a fun night.

Josh Turner probably got the biggest reception (see the fans hogging the stage? - they didn't do that for anyone else) and after listening to his wonderful baritone voice, I can understand why. Heck, maybe I'll even become a fan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a country music fan, but I do like looking at the men.

There is nothing quite like the Grand Ole Opry. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Would you believe I went out and bought a Josh Turner CD? I gotta stop buying stuff because the guy looks good (just like I bought "The Back Up Plan" because Alex O'Loughlin was in it!). I'm so baaaad.