Sunday, July 3, 2011

I'm Back!

I'm glad this is a long weekend. I need time to recover before going back to work. Man, I wish I didn't have to do that!!

The drive to NYC went well. I was surprised we didn't hit a lot of rush hour traffic (it was on a Monday). However, arriving in Times Square at 9pm was a bit harrowing (thank GOD I wasn't driving).  After having problems locating the hotel (the Garmin stated it was on Broadway, but we couldn't find it – too many lights!), we headed to the parking garage and walked. Three blocks up and four blocks over, we managed to weave our way through the crowd (there were three of us) and found the blasted hotel. If the Garmin had said to go down 46th Street, we MIGHT have been able to location the driveway. As it was, we never ventured down that street.

Needless to say, we got our exercise right off and had hardly been in the city for an hour!! But at least we knew where to go when it came time to leave (there was no WAY we were going to haul our luggage back to the parking garage).

As I suspected, internet was at a premium in NYC. The McDonald's across the street had free Wi-Fi, but it was soooo sloooow, I nearly ran out of battery time just checking my e-mails! It wasn't worth going over there every night. I know, I know, if I had one of those smart phones like my husband has (iPhone), I wouldn't have had a problem, but I just can't justify owning one of those – yet.

I had a good time at Nationals and my agent appointment went well (she asked for the full – yay!). I didn't take many pictures, mainly because I forgot to take my camera when I should have had it with me. Or I didn't pull it out and use it when I could have. I mean, I had lunch with Allison Brennan and didn't get our picture taken together. I'm such a dunce!

I did get Lynsay Sands' autograph on one of her Highlander books. Now, watch me get hooked on that series (yes, I will be reading it – I love her books).

While I attended many workshops (some good, some not so good), I also attended the many book signings and came back with over 30 books (only paid for 2). My husband doesn't think I'll read them all. I think I will – eventually. Sure, I still haven't read all the ones I got from RT last year, and I keep buying new (I do have some favorite authors), but I really believe I'll get through all my books (especially when I no longer HAVE to work). I've read 32 books so far this year, and that's WITH a job.

I'm in the final fixings of my book. My plan is to send it to the editor and agent this week. I've done some minor fixes already, but for some reason my brain can't function all that well and we have a friend visiting. Every time I think it's quiet and start working on the book, that's when someone decides to want to talk. It never fails. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I can get this blog written!

I also have homework from a class I'm taking. Overwhelmed is too light a word for how I'm feeling right now. I think I need a vacation from my vacation!

But I'm back now, and hopefully I'll be blogging more often. I can dream, anyway!

Happy Independence Day! Hope it's a fun-filled weekend for you.

2 comments:

Erin Kane Spock said...

Welcome back. NY sounds exciting and hectic. Congrats on the full request.
I love Lindsay Sands. I did not expect to like the vampire series, but she has such a tongue in cheek approach. She's awesome.
Happy 4th. :)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Yes, NYC was a bit hectic (and having the premiere of Transformers didn't help with the crowds, either! - they had something going on with that movie). I much prefer the smaller cities. I think Ohio suits me just fine!

If you haven't tried Lynsay's historicals, you should read those, too. Also very funny. Thanks for visiting, Erin!