Monday, May 14, 2012

Cemetery Art

When I attended Brookdale Community College in Linden, NJ, my major was in photography. I loved taking and developing pictures. I could spend hours in the dark room and not get bored.

In one of my classes, we had to pick our own project and then develop and mount our photos. Now, this was in October and we lived on Fort Monmouth. Not a whole lot to choose from to make an interesting project. But, I had visited some of the cemeteries (my husband was big into genealogy at the time) and was impressed with the headstones. So, that's what I based my project on: Cemetery Art.

This picture is one of my favorite ones. I took numerous photos, on different days, with different light, just trying to get it right. I found the overcast days were the best.

They were also the best to get me sick. After I completed this project, truding through endless cemeteries on cold, wet days, I ended up with pneumonia!

Anyway, I thought I would post a picture or two each Monday (see...I came up with a theme on Mondays now) until I ran out of pictures.

Can't say my project was all that great - I think I got a B - but it was fun (except for the getting sick part). You ever want to see some great statues, just visit a cemetery around Ft. Monmouth (that would be Eatontown, Long Branch, Red Bank, Asbury Park, etc.).

6 comments:

LD Masterson said...

I like it. Both this photo and the new Monday theme.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Thanks, Linda. I love sharing photos and if I do it on Mondays, it gives me the weekend to get something together!!

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Beautiful photo! You should check out Woodland Cemetery in Dayton - some really cool stuff in there. Looking forward to seeing more of your photos!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Thanks, Jennette! Sorry you couldn't make it to the meeting Saturday. And I was all set to buy your book, too!

I think I've been to the Woodland Cemetery. Once, when we first moved to the area. It's across from UD, right? I haven't found any cemeteries that ranked with the ones in New Jersey, though.

Maria Zannini said...

I've always loved wandering cemeteries. I used to go early in the morning so I wouldn't intrude on other people grieving.

Anne Gallagher said...

What a beautiful picture. I'm sorry you got pneumonia and a b- though.

Hey, perhaps you could put together a picture book, coffee table style. Now there's an idea.