Monday, June 11, 2012

Cemetery Art Monday

Happy (?) Monday, everyone (that's for those people who don't have to go to work). I have another photo from my Cemetery Art project. This one was taken on a rather dreary (foggy) day, but I like all the greys in it. It still amazes me how this statue was made for a gravesite.

Nowadays, a lot of markers in a cemetery are ones that are flush with the ground. I really hate those, too. It not only makes it hard to find your family member (no interesting landmarks to guide your way), it just seems so impersonal.

I went to a Dragons game on Saturday (they lost – big time) and came away with the last name for my heroine in Book 5 (Alien Desires). Sure, I already had a name picked out, but I couldn't resist using the catcher's name. It just sounded so…right. So, instead of Annie Wolfe, I now have Annie O'Shea. And I think she's much happier with it. I know I am.

For you writers out there – has that ever happened to you? Do names just come out of the blue?


6 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Foggy days add the most atmosphere to cemetery pictures.

Ref: names
Yes! Although I do a lot of research finding the right first names for my characters, last names usually come from everyday people.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - Sometimes I use the phone book (or long ago dead ancestors) for last names, but this was the first time I saw someone's name and realized I had the wrong one for my character. I thought it was kind of cool.

LD Masterson said...

Sometime the character comes to me with a his/her name attached and nothing I do can change it.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Linda - See, I should have known the name I had wasn't right, but it sounded good enough at the time. Glad she finally let me know what it was, though!

The Happy Whisk said...

Great new name and cool picture.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Thanks, Whisk!
Have a Boogie Boogie day!