Friday, September 13, 2013

Give WRiTE CLUB a Try and Vote!

Happy Friday the Thirteenth!

The second phase of WRiTE CLUB has taken off this week. If you haven’t signed up to vote, it’s still not too late. Bouts started on Monday and are posted every weekday until next Thursday (9 bouts in total). You have until noon on Sunday, Sep 22 to vote on all 9 bouts. Yes, I am included in one of these bouts. No, I won’t say which one. The winners of these bouts (plus the top vote getter of the losers) then have to produce a new set of work in which they will be pitted against each other. Here's the link: http://dlcruisingaltitude.blogspot.com/. You must be on his list to vote. Just follow his instructions.

I enjoy this little competition because it shows me how other people write. I also like seeing the comments (critiques) some people give, showing me different tastes in genres. What one person hates, another loves. It’s really eye-opening, and quite the learning experience.

My writing has been going fairly well. Monday was crap, but over 500 words each day the rest of the week. Hope to do the same today. I think my story has finally cemented itself inside my brain. I’m actually waking up with ideas for scenes. I kind of missed that.

This weekend looks to be a cool one (highs in the sixties instead of the nineties). It figures, too. HS Football is tonight. Looks like I might need to bundle up. I wouldn’t have minded it still be a little bit warmer. Maybe I’ll get me some spiked coffee after the game. You got any suggestions? We’ll most likely go to Applebee’s.

Have a good weekend and don’t walk under any ladders!

 

Stacy

 

11 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

What's your favorite thing to get at Applebees?

PS: I forgot it was Friday the 13th.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - I don't know if I have a favorite thing. I get the quesidillas a lot, but I also like this one steak & shimp item that is low in calories (can't remember the name of it). Problem is, we usually go late (after football games), so I try not to eat so much (maybe share an appetiser with the hubby).

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Gotta love this weather! Yay for getting back into the writing groove, and good luck with Write Club!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - This weather will drive you nuts, that's for sure!

The Happy Whisk said...

I don't mind the calories so much as the salt in their foods. Last time I went I got a plain baked potato and a plate of lettuce with a little dressing.

I looked on the menu online. Then the other day I looked up Perkins Menu. For a big breakfast, it was 4,000mg of sodium. Not that I was going to get that, but I wanted to see how much salt was in it.

Yikes.

Unknown said...

I participated in that! I picked the wrong scene to use, though. Everyone found it too gruesome. :P

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - I know I should worry about sodium, but my cholesterol and blood pressure are all super duper, so I worry more about the calories, since my weight isn't so super-duper!

Laura - I'm guessing that meant it didn't win your bout. :( Sometimes it doesn't matter how well a piece is written, if it grosses people out, only a true die-hard horror fan will like it, huh?

The Happy Whisk said...

So what did you end up getting? Do you guys have a Cheddars near you?

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - I ended up getting a raspberry perfect margarita. Actually two. Won't do that again. Those suckers were STRONG (but very, very tasty)! Of course, it could have been the bartender who made them for us - he's a friend.

I don't know what Cheddars is, so that would be a No. :)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - Of course, you could have been asking about what MEAL I got - duh! In that case, I got the chicken quesadillas. Pretty much my standard nowadays.

The Happy Whisk said...

I love raspberry, so good. I haven't had quesadillas in forever. I'm not even sure if I spelt it correctly, that's how long it's been.

We've been groovin' on chicken and waffles at Cheddars. I don't know the salt count but it doesn't seem to mess with me - so woohoo.