Monday, December 16, 2013

A Realization and Pictures!

It finally (FINALLY) dawned on me the type of romance books I’m not all that fond of. It has nothing to do with genre (e.g. historical or sci-fi), either. It has to do with the COUPLE.

I know it’s one of the “staples” of many a romance book, but when the hero and heroine have animosity toward one another I just can’t get into it. At least, not that quickly.

So, what made me realize this? You’d think I’d have known since I don’t write those kinds of couples. But no, it came to me as I tried to think why I was having problems getting into the current book I’m reading. It’s a paranormal. With vampires! I figured that’s all I needed. Apparently not. What I need to really enjoy a book is to have the couple at least LIKE each other before they have sex.

Now, I’m reading this book because it was recommended and I will finish it. I just hope the hero and heroine start liking each other soon, or I might not reach my reading goal (gasp!!).

My book signing went well Friday. The surprising part? Well, besides selling 7 (yes, 7!) books? I wasn’t all that nervous. I think Mary was more nervous than I was!

Anyway, here are some pictures of the event:

My friend Mary in her element!

Goodies galore! I sampled waaay too much!

Me and my books.

The clubhouse was nice and homey, don't you think?

"Now, who do I make it out to?"
 

I also had a good time at the Madrigal Dinner and managed to get a few shots that didn’t turn out all blurry!
 

Me, my daughter, my son, and my hubby!

My daughter got lucky to dance with the fool!

The Chamber Singers. Way back in 2001-2004, my son
was one of them!

My son is bringing in the "plum pudding" and the fool
is looking to roast his marshmallows!

The fool did a pretty good job of roasting the marshmallows
(or my son did a pretty good job at lighting the
fake dessert!)


I think I’ll have to spend today wrapping my husband’s gifts. He’ll be taking vacation later this week so it would be best if I got it all finished before that. No way could he peek at what I’m wrapping then. Of course, I still have one more thing I want to get him. Guess I better go shopping first. Yeah, I said I was finished. I think I also said “I think.” I always manage to find something else as the big day gets closer. Don’t you?

So, what should sex in a book mean to you? Or are you of the type that don’t want to see ANY sex in a book? Gosh, I hope not. Means you wouldn’t like MINE! J

Stacy

 

11 comments:

JeffO said...

Sex has to be meaningful for the book. I don't mind it in books, movies or TV shows, unless it feels like it's there just to be there. Glad your signing went well!

JeffO said...

I should have said 'story', not book. But you know what I mean, I hope.

Maria Zannini said...

I'm so glad you had a good time!

Re: couples and sex
I don't mind if they don't like each other (in the beginning) but there has to be a smooth transition to becoming a loving couple. As for sex, I like it fine, :) but I want the description tasteful and important to the story.

If sex is incorporated into the story just for sex's sake, I could pick up a copy of Penthouse for that.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I knew what you meant. I use "book" for "story" lots of times.

Maria - I guess I prefer to have the couple at least be desirous of one another (lust) when they have sex, not have it be a by-product of something else. I'll have to make sure to make a point of THAT when I review the book.

Samantha MacDouglas said...

Congratulations on selling 7 books and a successful book signing! That's great. :)

I tend to skim sex in books if it goes on for more than a page. I'm much more interested in the conflict and relationships. I don't mind it in a book, I just like to get to the stuff I'm interested in.

I agree with you about couple who hate each other. Not my thing either!

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Glad to see the signing party went well! As for sexytimes in stories, I'm not fond of it when it's a couple I haven't had the chance to get to know enough to care about. I've seen this where a story opens with one of these scenes, but also when it goes to a secondary couple. Of course, both can also be done well, but it's all in the execution!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Samantha - My husband skims, too. When he was reading one of my books, he commented, "Well, that was a fast chapter." It was the one with the sex scene! Haha!

Jennette - I like to feel a connection with the characters, too. When the hero and heroine dislike one another, I tend to dislike them both!!

Michael Seese said...

I read in someone else's blog (I wish I could remember whose) that all books should have some sex (I suppose MG and YA could be an exception) but that "sex" can be longing glances.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Michael - At least "longing glances" means there's an attraction going on and not animosity. And you probably haven't read much YA to think it doesn't have sex. It's just not described in detail. :)

The Happy Whisk said...

Looks like a fun time was had by all. Very cool and fun pictures.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Thanks, Ivy!