Monday, April 21, 2014

I Guest-Posted and E-Reader Dissatisfaction

Hey! I’m a nut! Okay, maybe you already know that, but this time I’m a nut over at Cd Brennan’s blog. Every Sunday she features a different author on her “Sundae With Nuts” and I happen to be the author featured yesterday. So if you’re curious (and you are, aren’t you?), click HERE and check out my answers to her questions. Am I nutty or what?

Yesterday was Easter (duh!). It was supposed to be a fairly relaxing day. I thought I would get some editing done and finish the anthology I was reading before the kids came over for dinner and games. Well I guess I can wish in one hand and get you-know-what in the other.

I pulled out my Nook and noticed the screen had faded. Now, I turn that sucker off after I use it, so I knew it wasn’t the battery. I turned it on and everything seemed fine until a message popped up saying it was reformatting (or something to that affect) and to NOT turn off the Nook. After waiting 10 minutes (the 10 minutes it would have taken me to finish the darn anthology!!!), the reformatting finished but reset EVERYTHING! It was like having a brand new Nook. All my freebie books were gone. All my shelves were gone. All my settings were GONE!

This is why I hate e-readers. I wouldn’t have had this problem with paper books. Well, I would if a tornado came through the house or an earthquake struck, but the odds of either of those happening are waaaay less than my Nook reformatting.

At least I had my freebie books on my computer, so they weren’t totally gone. But going through my books and figuring out which ones I’d already read….what a pain! I can’t remember that crap. That’s why I created the shelves!! That’s why I have separate shelves for my paper books. Ones that hold books to be read and several that hold the books I have read (and they’re in different rooms, too!).

Okay. Rant over (until the next time, that is--haha!).

Other than that unfortunate incident, my Easter was pretty good. I got a nice message from someone who won a copy of MSV. She’s very excited about reading it. Now I am, too! Amazing what can please me, huh?

Easter dinner was nice. I actually cooked! Shocking, I know.

Gotta work like crazy this week to get my pre-edits finished for Ghostly Liaison, so it’s probably a good thing my daughter hasn’t finished reading J.R. Ward’s book yet. I’m not ready to read it!!

So…did you spend the holiday with family? Do anything fun? We sat around and played board games. I actually won one game. Yay!

Have a great Monday!!

Stacy

 

15 comments:

JeffO said...

Bummer about your e-reader, but it sure sounds like you had a nice day!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - It was a nice day, once I got over the frustration, which, by the way, happened before breakfast. So I had much of the day to grumble! Especially to anyone who would listen! Haha! :)

Jennette Marie Powell said...

At least you dreaded is still usable, but what a pain. My Kindle died two months out of warranty. Amazon offered me a discount on a new one at first, but when I said that was not acceptable they agreed to replace it free. :)

We're celebrating Easter a week late this year, because DD had to work and couldn't come home last week.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Stupid auto correct - dreaded should be ereader. I guess my phone doesn't like them either!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - Hahahahaha! Maybe the phone feels it's in competition with e-readers!

It was sooooo nice having lunch with you today! :) Can you tell I don't get out much? Haha!

The Happy Whisk said...

What did you cook?

You made me crack up at that not happening with paper books. That's true, when I reformat my shelves to make them nice, I still have my books when I'm done.

Headed over to see you at the other place. Cheers and boogie boogie.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - I cooked meatloaf (from scratch!). I also served mashed potatoes, peas, broccoli & cheese, breadsticks and some deviled eggs (my own yummy recipe). I stuffed everyone!

Sandra Cox said...

Sounds like you had a great Easter.
I feel your pain on the e reader.
I fixed waffles and an egg casserole for brunch.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Sandra - Ooh. Waffles. That sounds good!

James Garcia Jr said...

Hi, Stacy. I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the Nook. Technology is great until it's not, right? *sigh*
Easter was nice for me, too. I dreamed about those three days off for weeks! ;)

-Jimmy

Stacy McKitrick said...

Hi Jimmy! I bet you really enjoyed those days off. I can't imagine working as much as you do and STILL get writing done. You the man!! :)

James Garcia Jr said...

Aw! Bless you for saying that. The trick I'm afraid... *whispers* I only take on one writing project a year and then I clear my virtual desk to get the project done. I'm currently on a break, doing other things (got the paperbacks produced, promoting, book events). Soon I will climb back into writer's cave where I will disappear until I get the second or third draft done...
*waves*

-Jimmy

dolorah said...

Updates can be so frustrating sometimes.

I did spend the day with family, and got pretty much nothing but relaxing done. Felt good!

....dhole

Stacy McKitrick said...

Donna - Relaxing is always a feel-good activity! I should do it more often. Or...maybe not. I've got work to do!

The Happy Whisk said...

I love hearing about what you made and that you stuffed everyone.

Good deal.