Monday, April 28, 2014

My First Retreat

First off… Sorry, no pictures. I never even pulled the camera out. Frankly, that’s not a surprise where I’m concerned. I guess if other people took pictures, I might have done it, but they didn’t so I didn’t.

I had fun! Just being around other writers, talking about writing (and publishing), was pretty cool. There were some newbie writers as well as published ones. I’m still amazed I’m part of the published ones. I still don’t feel all that experienced with only 5 years of writing behind me.

I managed to get over 900 words added to Book 7 AND edited 78 pages of Bite Me. Shocked me! I also got some critique comments for Book 7 (told me what I needed to pay attention to) and I critiqued three other first chapters. I also found new authors I want to try out (and support). Overall, pretty productive.

Know what else it was? Exhausting! You’d think not, huh? But the beds weren’t the greatest and when staying up Saturday night until 1:30 talking (I crashed about an hour before the majority), waking up at 7:15, staying for lunch (at a nearby restaurant), then driving home for nearly 2 hours, took its toll. I guess if the bed was more comfortable, I would have slept longer, but it wasn’t, so I didn’t.

The place was pretty and it did warm up a bit on Saturday (after the rain left). I stayed in and worked, though (hard to write on my laptop with the sun blaring on the screen--can’t see anything--and my battery only lasts about an hour anyway). But having only two bathrooms with 15 women (one had to cancel) did make it difficult at times. Not something I would recommend for anything longer than a weekend! Heck, I don’t think I could survive there longer than a weekend. It might look pretty, but it wasn’t always comfortable.

Would I do it again, though? You betcha!

So… The Penguins head to Game 6 tonight. In Columbus. And they’re up 3-2 (best out of 7). I’d like to be there and watch them win the first round (I’m thinking positive, here), but not at their prices. Guess I’ll just have to suffer with watching it on TV. Go Pens!!!

Hope your Monday isn’t a drag!

Stacy

 

2 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

Very very cool. I remember my first real conference weekend, or retreat or whatever you'd like to call it. I was so pooped that following Monday, that I plopped on the couch and didn't move.

But once I did move, wow, did I have energy. Super fun stuff.

Cheers and boogie boogie.

Sandra Cox said...

Sounds like you had all kinds of fun. Though 2 bathrooms for 15 women sounds pretty scary...