Monday, April 20, 2015

It Started with ONE Appointment in February

I hadn’t been to the base hospital in ages (except for pap smears and mammograms, and that happens usually once a year if I remember). Then I hurt my leg while walking on the treadmill awhile back. It didn’t get any better with rest and I wanted to exercise, so I made an appointment with the doctor, which turned into three physical therapy appointments.

A week or so after I saw the doctor, my cold returned worse than ever, so I went back to the doctor. On this trip, he noticed my heart murmur (it’s a mitrovalve prolapse that I’ve had probably since birth, but was discovered when I was nine, when I went through a barrage of tests). He wanted to do some tests—just to make sure. Okay, why not? It had been since the nineties (I think) since I’ve had them.

So I went in for an EKG and then later for an Echocardiogram. Cardiologist called a week or two later and made an appointment to see me. That appointment is this Thursday. I’m not worried about this. I’ve gone through this before (and if it were serious, I certainly wouldn’t have been able to join the Army). It’s a teaching hospital, too, so I think I’ve become this great test subject!

My cough has YET to go away (it’s been two months since my initial cold). My husband is bug, bug, BUGGING me to go see the doctor. Okay!! (I just want to shut him up.) So I made an appointment for this Tuesday. I’m thinking allergies, but who knows anymore.

In the meantime, I still need to make an appointment with a gynecologist (my night sweats are driving me insane).

Last year I went to the hospital maybe twice, this year six and counting (three more for sure). Good thing I don’t have an outside job. I’d be out of sick leave by now! J

In other news… I’m so HAPPY the Penguins won game 2 against the Rangers. Game 3 is tonight. Go Pens!!!

So… What have you done that you thought would be one and done and it turned into multiple events? Or am I the only one who’s lucky that way?

Have a great Monday!

Stacy

7 comments:

JeffO said...

It's like pulling a loose thread on a sweater and ending up with a pile of yarn, isn't it? I hope everything goes well with your appointments, and you can kick that cough once and for all.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I'll be glad to get rid of the cough, just so people stop asking me if I'm okay. I'm okay. I'm just coughing.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

The current project at work has been like that every step of the way! Today, scripts that worked Friday won't run, and I've changed nothing! And that's after I couldn't get into the site at first because all of a sudden, it decided to stop recognizing my login. Got that fixed, now this. I swear some days I'd be better off not getting out of bed. Hope all the tests go okay and you finally kick that cough!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - And that is ONE of the reasons I'm so glad I don't work for someone else outside the home. If I don't want to get out of the bed, then I don't! Who's gonna fire me? Me? Haha! :D

The Happy Whisk said...

Sending you all the healthy wishes. Also, I like what JeffO wrote. Ain't that the truth!

Maria Zannini said...

With all those tests, you'd think they'd include a chest x-ray.

I hope it's nothing more than residual.

I wish I could offer you advice for night sweats. When my change came it lasted exactly 3 weeks and that was that. I'm sorry yours is lasting so long.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - Thanks for the healthy wishes. Same back atcha!

Maria - My doctor DID schedule a chest X-ray, so I got that done today. But most likely my problem is associated with allergies (post nasal drip). He put me on Zyrtec and Flonase. We'll see how that works. Maybe the Zyrtec will help me sleep through the night! :)