Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Wednesday Reads and a New Page

Did you notice? Did you see it in my sidebar? I finally set up an author page on Facebook! I know, took me long enough. I’m surprised I already have over 50 likes. It’s not like I invited all my friends to like it (I refuse to do that). I won’t be posting the same stuff on my personal profile and author page, because that’s just dumb. Now to just figure out something interesting to say as my author persona as opposed to what I HAVE been doing on my personal profile, which basically is my author persona. Hmmm…

Anyway, this is what I read this week:

hard as you can by laura kaye
May 31: “Hard as You Can” by Laura Kaye, book 2 of the Hard Ink series, a contemporary romance (but more like a romantic suspense) at 370 pages long. Blurb from book: Ever since hard-bodied, drop-dead-charming Shane McCallan strolled into the dance club where Crystal Dean works, he’s shown a knack for getting beneath her defenses. For her little sister’s sake, Crystal can’t get too close. Until her job and Shane’s mission intersect, and he reveals talents that go deeper than she could have guessed. Shane would never turn his back on a friend in need, especially a former Special Forces teammate running a dangerous, off-the-books operation. Nor can he walk away from Crystal. The gorgeous waitress is hiding secrets she doesn’t want him to uncover. Too bad. He’s exactly the man she needs to protect her sister, her life, and her heart. All he has to do is convince her that when something feels this good, you hold on as hard as you can—and never let go. No way was this just a contemporary romance. Too much suspense and dangerous situations for that. And after reading this book (which I had gotten for free at RT), I wish I had started with Book 1. Not that I had to (I was never confused), I just WANT to. Lots of tension (sexual and otherwise) and I loved it. The major storyline is still in play, but there wasn’t any cliffhanger with this book (yay!). I have a feeling I’ll be reading the rest of this series, but gotta get book 1 first. J

eighth grave after dark by darynda jones
Jun 2: “Eighth Grave After Dark” by Darynda Jones, book 8 of the Charley Davidson series, an urban fantasy at 293 pages long. Blurb from book: Charley Davidson has enough going on without having to worry about twelve hellhounds hot on her trail. She is, after all, incredibly pregnant and feeling like she could pop at any moment. But, just as her luck, twelve deadly beasts from hell have chosen this time to escape onto our plane, and they’ve made Charley their target. And so she takes refuge at the only place she thinks they can’t get to her: the grounds of an abandoned convent. Of course, if hellhounds aren’t enough, Charley also has a new case to hold her attention: the decades-old murder of a newly vowed nun who she keeps seeing in the shadows of the convent. Add to that the still-unsolved murder of her father, the strange behavior of her husband, and Charley’s tendency to attract the, shall we say, undead, and she has her hands full…but also tied. While the angry hellhounds can’t traverse the consecrated soil, they can lurk just beyond its borders like evil sentries, so Charley has been forbidden from leaving the sacred grounds. Luckily, she has her loyal team with her, and they’re a scrappy bunch who won’t let a few thirsty hellhounds deter them. While the team scours the prophesies, searching for clues on the Twelve and for a way to kill them, or at least send them back to hell, Charley just wants answers and is powerless to get them. But the mass of friends they’ve accrued helps. They convince her that everyone in her recent life has somehow been drawn to her, as through they were all part of a bigger picture. Their presence is comforting, but the good feelings don’t last for long, because Charley is about to get the surprise of her crazy, mixed-up, supernatural life. Aaarrrggghhh! This is the problem with urban fantasy series. The overall storyline doesn’t necessarily end in one book. Yeah, I hate cliff hangers, and this one has a doozie, but I do love these books, so I’ll impatiently wait for the next one. And man, that’s one long blurb, isn’t it? I never read them until I go to put them in my post. Guess they have more room to put it on the inside sleeve.

I’m kind of perturbed. My daughter has YET to finish reading “The Shadows” (the latest book from J.R. Ward). I’ve been patiently waiting. Okay, maybe impatiently waiting. I’m about ready to just grab it from her (and when I finish the next book I read and “The Shadows” is not waiting in my stack, I might just DO that!).

I’ve decided to take a writing break (a small one). Too much crap going on right now, I can’t even concentrate on my story. Trying to fight it was only making it worse, so I just decided to accept that I won’t be writing until sometime next week. Amazing what making a decision can do to a person. Really freeing! More time to read. Well, until tomorrow, when RAGT starts.

So… Have you been hit with some cooler weather? Enjoying it? I kind of am. Even though I’m taking medication to help with my night sweats, the cool nights are helping, too. Plus, opening the window makes the house smell clean. It won’t last, though. I can see it in the forecast. Hot & humid will be back soon enough.

Have a good Wednesday and happy reading!

Stacy

7 comments:

JeffO said...

I came home yesterday and found my wife wearing her coat. Inside. What amazes me is this: the thermostat at work is showing that it's around 70 inside our building this week, yet I've been chilly. Got too used to 80+. We're never happy, are we?

Hope your writing break allows you to clear things out and you get all your stuff worked out.

Maria Zannini said...

I'm sure it's part of Facebook's algorithms, but it's frustrating to start a page and not have it show up in people's feeds. Even when I tell FB I want to follow something, it still decides what I see.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - My husband has been wearing his coat in the house, too. I bet he doesn't starting tomorrow. It's supposed to get back up into the 80s then.

Maria - Yeah, FB is weird. That, or they just want your money to boost the stupid posts. Probably that last part. But I'll take what I can FREE. :)

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I have a FB author page, but don't bother with it much, especially since they display your posts to only a few people without $$$$. And I've heard that once you pay to boost something, they show subsequent unboosted posts to even fewer people. What a racket!

I'm taking a writing break too, trying to get some promo stuff set up. Lots of work there, and too much to focus on both that and writing. Good luck with yours!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - I've also heard boosting works so that it goes beyond the LIKES. I might fool with it since the digital version of My Sunny Vampire is currently FREE (until July 3). Couldn't hurt to spend a few bucks, I guess.

The Happy Whisk said...

Congrats on the author page. Why is it so far down below?

Cooler? We had the furnace on yesterday morning and then the air on at night. Wack-a-do. But I'm okay with it.

I took your book with me food shopping and was reading you online.

B.E. Sanderson said...

Yay for the author page! I'm glad I did mine. I set it up so it feeds my Twitter page, which works for me. (I'm getting better at Twitter but I'm not there yet.) Anyway, I liked your page. =o)

Yeah, when the Kid lived with us, I sometimes had to wait to read a new book, and sometimes she had to wait. Now they're all mine. Bwa ha ha.

We finally had some cooler weather, but today marks the end of that. It's 85 now. Bleh.

Happy reading!