Friday, February 17, 2017

Water Water Everywhere

Sometimes I think I’m jinxed when it comes to water problems. I always seem to be alone in the house. I was alone when the pipes burst in the upstairs bathroom a few years ago. I was alone when the sump pump hose decided to drain into the basement two years ago. And now I was alone when my refrigerator decided to shoot water out at me.

That’s right. Shoot. Water.

I’ve changed the water filter in the fridge twice a year since we bought the appliance five years ago. And I’ve been alone each time I changed it. No more, I tell you. No more.

I pulled the filter out yesterday and water shot out and hit me! I quickly stuck the filter back in, but it continued to leak into the bin below (which was thankfully empty, but not so thankfully water tight). I quickly pulled the fridge from the wall so I could reach the water shut off valve. You’d think I could turn it off easily. Well, you’d think wrong. I couldn’t get the spigot to move at all!

So I rushed downstairs to turn off the water to the house. But for some reason my brain told me it was someplace it wasn’t and I freaked when it wasn’t there. A call to Hubby told me where it was located (and I almost yelled d’oh!), but I needed him to come home and turn off the water to the fridge or I was without water all day (and since he needed me to wash his shirts, he obliged—although he could have been a little concerned since I was acting a bit hysterical).

About a bucket of water filled that bin. Too much of it leaked onto the floor. Once I cleaned up the fridge and dried everything, I replaced the water filter. Then Hubby turned the water back on and we waited.

No water leaked (shooting or otherwise). Whew!

Sure wish I knew why it happened this time. I certainly hadn’t done anything different.

Appliances. They’re just so…nutty.

So… Have you had any appliance work a way you weren’t expecting? How'd that go for you?

Happy Friday!

Stacy

6 comments:

JeffO said...

Sounds like a fun day! Don't you hate when a ten minute job turns into an all-day affair? I hate plumbing. Glad you managed to get it fixed. Have a great weekend!

Maria Zannini said...

Ugh! I've had days like that, but so far never with a water filter.

Hope you have tile in your kitchen.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I hate plumbing, too. It can be soooooo messy!

Maria - We have vinyl flooring in the kitchen and I managed to stop the leak before it reached the hard wood floor. Glad I have old towels in the laundry room for such an occasion! Because I forgot--the washer leaked last year, too. Too much water, I tell you. Too much!

Jennette Marie Powell said...

That fridge sounds possessed. But I can't think of appliances working in ways they weren't expected to - just not working in ways I did expect.

The Happy Whisk said...

That fridge sounds like a real nutter.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - Possessed. That's a good one!

Ivy - Yep, nutty. And I've done nothing but be good to it, too!