Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Wednesday Reads and a Rough Day

Monday was rough. I had a doctor appointment that only added stress to my somewhat stressful life and I attended a funeral for Hubby’s uncle, who had died five days after my father. I’ve known Uncle Kenny since 1982, but hadn’t seen him in 20 years. It was still very hard to hear of his passing, but it was nice to see the family again.

Sad thing is, we’d hope to visit him earlier, but with all this cancer stuff going on, it just kept being put on the back burner. Not an excuse, just what it was.

Here’s what I read the past week:

Book #60
Dates read: November 21-28
Title: “Lucky Strike”
Year of publication: 2017
Author: Cate Beaumont
Genre: Contemporary romance
Series: Lucky, Kentucky #1
# of Pages: 194
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from book: Kelsey Taggert is a modern woman blazing her way through single parenthood. While running her own business, she has no time for love since her cheating ex-husband left her for a stripper. A brush with death motivates her to step out of her comfort zone and get started on a Bucket List of new experiences. Number one on her list…a hot love affair.
    Workaholic Deke Connelly saves Kelsey’s life when she is struck by lightning, but she is not the only one electrified by the experience. He can’t stop thinking about the feisty brunette that dropped unexpectedly into his life. He believes she could be the one. Now how to convince her?
My thoughts: I read this because a friend wrote it. It’s a straight contemporary with some funny incidents. Was I hoping for more? Sure! I always am with contemporaries. But if that’s your thing, then you’ll enjoy this.

As for that doctor appointment that only frustrated me more: it’s basically MY decision to have chemo. It might help, but then the side effects might not be worth it. Might, might, might! Lovely, huh? I hate the vagueness of it all!!! So I’m leaning toward not having it. Thankfully, Hubby will support my decision.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm very sorry about Uncle Kenny. It's sad how life works out sometimes.
Chemo is like trading one disease for another. If there are alternatives or it's not necessary, I don't blame you for not doing it.
Hope the rest of your week is much better.

JeffO said...

What a rough couple of weeks--I'm sorry for your loss.
I suppose the doctors are trying to protect themselves, but you would really like to hear something more definite out of them, wouldn't you? I don't blame you for not wanting to go through that.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - It did feel like I was trading one cancer for another. So frustrating.

Jeff - Hubby said my doctor would recommend chemo because she didn't want to go to the tumor board and say she recommended otherwise. I kind of believe that, too.

The Happy Whisk said...

Sorry it's a rough go and that your uncle passed as well. As for chemo, I don't know anything about the subject but I do know that having a partner that supports, is THE BEST!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - Yep. Hubby supports my decision and that's all that matters. :)

Maria Zannini said...

Sometimes I wonder if doctors just fall back on formulaic treatments without considering the person.

"It might help" is not helpful at all.

I don't blame you for resisting it.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - She told me not to stress about the decision, but man, how can you NOT stress? Sheesh!