Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Reading Update, an Injury, and an Online Class


Well… my walking came to a stand-still (haha, see what I did there?). I apparently pushed myself too far and pulled something in my hip area. I’m resting it and using Arnica cream to help with the pain (it’s working). Of course, the last couple of mornings have been wonderfully cool and dry and I couldn’t go out and enjoy it. Not the way I wanted to, anyway.

I wish I knew what I did. I don’t walk THAT fast! And I stretch after every walk, too (have to or I’ll get cramps and that’s no fun!). So hopefully later this week I’ll give walking another try (slowly and not as far). But then the humidity is due back, too. Figures, huh?

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book #27
Dates read: July 6 – 12
Title: Inherit Truth
Year of publication: 2019
Author: Alicia Anthony
Genre: Psychic Suspense
Series: Blood Secrets #1
# of Pages: 302
Paper or plastic: Nook
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Book:. When Liv Sullivan’s dead grandmother beckons for help from beyond the grave, the reluctant psychic is forced back to her small Ohio hometown. Scrambling to make sense of her grandmother’s legacy, Liv finds herself face to face with undercover Agent Ridge McCaffrey.
     Assigned to protect the woman whose gifts unnerve him, all for a covert psychic intelligence operation he doesn’t understand, Ridge struggles to place duty over desire. But when a body is found at Sullivan Farm and Liv’s allegiance is called into question, Ridge’s mission becomes clear.
    Can Liv unearth family secrets that are best left buried before the ghosts of her past destroy her dreams of a normal future?
My thoughts: I really thought my issue with this book would be because her point of view was written in first person and his was written in third (I really don’t like it when authors do that). Instead, my mistake was thinking this was a romantic suspense (I had to look up categories on Amazon after I read it to see where it fit). If I had gone into reading this with that information, maybe I wouldn’t have any problems. So if you’re looking for a romantic suspense, you won’t find it here because there is no HEA (happy ever after) or even a HFN (happy for now) at the end of this book. The story isn’t over, either. Yep. Cliffhanger. Big time, too. I’m not happy. So while I can’t recommend it to romance readers, suspense readers may enjoy this kind of series. Just make sure you have all three books to read before you start on the first because I’m guessing the second will also end with a cliffhanger.

For all you writers out there: My RWA chapter, COFW (Central Ohio Fiction Writers), is offering the following online class for the month of August (it’s all done in groups.io). You don’t have to write romance or belong to RWA to benefit.


This August, COFW is offering a class from Linnea Sinclair! CHARACTERIZATION: MAKING STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES WORK FOR YOU (or No More Mary Sues!)

Down with one-dimensional cartoon-like characters! Down with the two-dimensional ones, while we’re at it. Embrace your characters—warts and all—in this lively workshop with Bantam author Linnea Sinclair. Reviewers note that: “Her characters are intelligent, no-nonsense and have a depth that gives me an instant mental picture...” (Road to Romance Reviews) and “The author's sure hand with characterization makes each twist of this emotionally laden storyline as suspenseful as any well-wrought battle scene.” (Science Fiction Weekly)

Sinclair will help writers dialogue with their characters to bring out information that builds depth and uniqueness. She’ll also discuss the pros and cons of using archetypes, astrology and tarot to build story people.

About the instructor: Winner of the prestigious national book award, the RITA®, science fiction romance author Linnea Sinclair has become a name synonymous for high-action, emotionally intense, character-driven novels.

Sign up at cofwevents.org/classes. Price as follows: COFW Members, $25; RWA Members, $30; Non-members, $35.

This is a great deal and I can attest that Linnea’s classes are AWESOME. I’ve learned so much from her.

My birthday is Saturday (Happy Birthday to me!!!) and we’re meeting friends and family at a park for a picnic (keeping our distance and ordering takeout). We found a covered picnic area with plenty of seating, but with the temps forecasted for the low 90s, I hope we don’t melt. Although, if I melted off some fat, maybe I wouldn’t complain.

Happy Reading!
Stacy

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry you hurt yourself. The only thing worse than saying you hurt yourself walking is hurting yourself getting out of bed. (Which I have done!)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - I've hurt myself getting dressed. Almost as bad!

The Happy Whisk said...

I see what you did there with the stand-still. lol. Wishing you a fast recovery.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Bummer about your hip - hope it's better soon. And have a happy birthday! Your plans sound like a great way to get together with others safely. Hope it's a fun one!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - I hope it works out and that no one else wants to use the space! Luckily, that park isn't used very often. But now that I said that... Who knows!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - Thanks! I wouldn't mind a fast recovery, either!