Friday, January 7, 2022

Reading and Cancer Update

I had this mostly ready to post on Tuesday night (Jan 4), but then I got sick (stomach bug or food poisoning—it’s hard to tell the difference) and, well, nothing got done. I’m better now and finally back at my computer and figured this was better to post today instead of waiting until next Wednesday.

On December 17th, I had a biopsy done on my left adrenal gland. Seemed that fatty tissue had grown since my July MRI. Well, I got the results: metastatic kidney cancer. Surgery to remove the adrenal gland is scheduled for February 8, but that could change.

To think I’d been worried about having metastatic breast cancer. I didn’t even know metastatic kidney cancer could happen.

I’m not sure what will happen after surgery. I make the mistake (often) of Googling the cancer, only to come away freaked out more than ever.

Needless to say… I’m just not motivated to do much lately. Except read and crochet. I’m enjoying that, so that’s where I’m putting my energy right now.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 1

Dates read: December 30, 2021-January 2, 2022
Title: A Gamble Among Sheep
Year of publication: 2019
Author: Landra Graf
Genre: Sci-fi romance
Series: Bad Boys of Space #2
# of Pages: 275
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased from author
Blurb from the book: Self-made nightclub owner Akono Sweet has spent the last six months working on a plan for his early retirement. When his arch-rival Vincent Genovese claims Akono’s club and fortune belong to him, Akono’s forced to accelerate his plans.
    Caterina, Genovese’s black-sheep daughter, is forced into taking over Sweet’s club by her father and brother threatening the life she’s carved for herself outside the family business. It doesn’t take her long to see she and Akono are two of a kind—right down to being targeted by her family.
    An attraction neither Caterina or Akono can fight interferes with everything they should be focusing on. When they stumble on a bigger conspiracy that threatens everyone on Callisto, this pair of gamblers has to ensure they stay alive long enough to defeat it.
    Too bad falling in love just made the odds more difficult to beat…
My thoughts: I bought the first book in the series in 2020 from the author. In 2021 I bought the next three. I met her at Literary Love Savannah book convention (we were table mates in 2020 and 2021) and she writes the kind of sci-fi I like to read: the non-techy kind. Oh, it’s also a romance, so a big win there, too! It’s a fun book (fun series, too), so if you like sci-fi romance, give it a try.

So… it’s like in the teens out there this morning (and won’t get much warmer when the sun rises). Brrr. Not sure I want to venture out in the cold today. Which means cooking at home. Not sure I want to do that, either. What a dilemma, huh?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry to hear it's cancer. I hope you can keep your surgery date. Just don't Google it anymore. Prayers with you.

Maria Zannini said...

Do what you enjoy and to hell with everything else. Keep us updated.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - I'm doing my best to stay away from Google!

Maria - I will.