Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Reading Update and I Have a Date!

So… June 20th. That’s the day of my cardiac procedure/surgery. On that day, the doctor will insert (via the vein in my groin) a mitral valve clip (called a mitraclip) on my mitral valve. The clip is supposed to help the valve close so blood doesn’t continue to flow backward (which is causing my heart to work harder than it should). Yesterday I got all the pre-op stuff finished. As long as they don’t find anything wrong, I’m good to go. And I won’t hold my breath about anything going wrong. I got this far last year when the surgery was called off. Hoping not to experience that again.

After the procedure/surgery, I’ll spend the night at the hospital and expect to be released the next day (after an echocardiogram). Yeah, I’m a bit nervous. More nervous than I’ve been before any of my other surgeries. Will I feel different? Will I feel the device? I really hope I don’t feel the device. I just want to feel normal again.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 18

Dates read: June 1-11, 2022
Title: Shadow Falling
Year of publication: 2016
Author: Rebecca Zanetti
Genre: Apocalyptic romantic suspense
Series: Scorpius Syndrome #2
# of Pages: 349
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased used
Blurb from the book: Before the Scorpius Syndrome tore through North America and nearly wiped out the population, Vivienne Wellington was the FBI’s best profiler. The bacteria got her anyway. But she survived. She recovered. And when she woke up from a drug-nightmare of captivity, her trust in her fellow man had gone from shaky at best to nonexistent. Her mysterious rescuer wants to convince her he’s the exception. But no matter how tempting he is, with his angel’s eyes and devil’s tongue, Vinnie knows she shouldn’t trust him.
    If the FBI were still around they would rate Raze Shadow as one of the bad guys. His military training can’t wipe out his association with the Mercenaries, the most feared gang in a thousand miles. His loyalties are compromised. He won’t even tell Vinnie his real name. But there’s no FBI in the new America of fear and firepower, only instinct and risk. And the way his arms wrap around her tells its own story. Whatever else Raze is concealing, he can’t hide his desire…
My thoughts: Lots of alpha males in this series. I’m not a fan of those, but I liked this book and I’m enjoying the series. Curious to see how it all ends.

I’m way behind in my reading. Four books behind in reaching my goal. I think I’ll blame it on my crochet. I do seem to be doing that a lot. I should be blaming it on my writing. Maybe that will come later. Fingers crossed.

I thought I might get some reading done on our trip to Michigan (to visit friends), but with my surgery, that trip has been delayed (we were due to leave on the 22nd). If that’s the only trip that gets delayed, I’m good with that!

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments:

JeffO said...

I'm behind in my own reading, it seems--of blogs! Here's to a successful and minimally discomfiting procedure for you, and only the one delayed trip.

Out of coincidence, a main character in the WiP is named Zanetti. I think he's the bad guy. How bad remains to be seen.

Good luck tomorrow!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I've been bad at reading blogs, too. Heck, I'm rarely at my computer anymore. That's sad...