Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Reading Update and Busy, Busy, Busy!

I had PLANNED to post this last night. But…

Hubby and I were in Atlanta (for Dragon Con) this past weekend (Wed-Tue). On Thursday, Hubby fell (stumbled over a curb that was painted BLACK and at night was not easy to distinguish from the road, so he basically fell into the road). He hurt his right side (where he used his elbow to protect his rib as he rolled on the ground). He’d been in pain ever since, so when we got home yesterday, we went to the ER on base (after dinner, of course) and didn’t get home until LATE. Luckily, he didn’t break anything, just pulled a muscle or bruised it (no blood clots, either—yay). Which is a good thing, because we leave on our vacation on Tuesday.

Vacation? you ask. Didn’t you just go to Dragon Con? Well, we always go to Dragon Con, but we were running out of dates to use our credit (from 2020) to book a trip in the states (instead of Europe as we originally planned). We’ll be taking a tour to see 5 National Parks. And after that tour, we’ll head on over to my mom’s for about 10 days.

See? Busy, busy! But fun busy!

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 26

Dates read: August 24 – September 2, 2022
Title: Damning the Dead
Year of publication: 2022
Author: Kerry Blaisdell
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: The Dead Series #3
# of Pages: 270
Paper or plastic: Nook
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads: Hyacinth Finch’s life-after-death just got more complicated. High on her to-do list: Stop Satan from stealing any more of Archangel Michael’s powerful relics, marshal her Dead Army of two thousand souls, and recapture dozens of escaped Hell Demons, to prevent six thousand dead Nazis from wreaking havoc in the world. And on top of all that, her onetime ghost boyfriend has hijacked the body of a former German militant, which has its ups and downs for their relationship.
    Then, just when things seem to be under control, her nephew Geordi’s powers start leaking out, and Hyacinth’s own begin to change. She must discover where their abilities originated. But as she digs deeper, will the truths she uncovers do more harm than good? And more importantly—can she figure it out, before Satan escapes from Hell and takes Geordi for himself?
My thoughts: I am not a happy reader. This book didn’t end. I mean, it was worse than a stupid cliffhanger. It just didn’t end. Not sure if I’ll buy book #4, whenever it comes out. Heck, if it’s too late, I’ll probably forgot I read this series as it is, so it really won’t matter. But man, I hate it when a book doesn’t end!

Book 27

Dates read: September 3-5, 2022
Title: Angel Kin
Year of publication: 2014/2018
Author: Tricia Skinner
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series: Angel Assassins #2
# of Pages: 186
Paper or plastic: Nook
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads: While channeling Robin Hood’s “steal from the rich and give to the poor” attitude at a local politician’s house, ex-con Katie Logan witnesses a forced suicide. Dirty or not, supernatural or not, he didn’t deserve to die, especially not by his own hand. But with her record, stepping forward as a witness isn’t an option. On the run from the police and the murderer, she turns to The Bound Ones for help.
    When a beautiful woman comes to The Bound Ones, half-angel assassin Cain is immediately drawn to her. But when she fingers him as the killer, he can come to only one conclusion. The twin he thought was dead is very much alive…and trying to send him a message. Unfortunately, that message is: “You’re next.” It’s a race against time as Cain fights to save the woman he’s falling in love with before his brother Abel destroys them both.
My thoughts: Finally getting around to finishing this series. Hopefully there are only 3 books, since there aren’t more out there and the author appears to now be an agent, so I’m wondering if she’s still writing. I enjoyed this book but will hold out on recommending it since it does have a cliffhanger (basically starting the next book, which is okay, in a way, since this storyline in this book did end, but was totally unnecessary). Book #3 is coming up next to read. We’ll see how I feel after that one.

Sometimes I really wonder about my memory. I marked that I read the first book in the Angel Assassins series (in Dec 2019, so not THAT long ago). I even reviewed it saying I loved it. So why can’t I remember what the book is about? Same thing happened to me at Dragon Con. I went to see The Buffy Horror Picture Show (where cast mates act out the episode while the episode is playing—it’s really fun). I’ve seen this episode a couple of times (at least). Yet, when it played, I barely remembered any of it. I hate that the blackboard in my head is apparently full and I’m erasing stuff I think is unimportant. At least, that’s the way I’ve always seen my brain.

So… Did you have a nice long weekend? Do anything fun?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry he hurt himself. Glad it's just bruising.
You are in the middle of a whirlwind of fun!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - Yes, I am!

Maria Zannini said...

Oh, your poor husband. I'm so sorry he got hurt.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - Thanks. I'm sorry he got hurt, too. Kind of spoiled his trip a bit. I'm just glad he knew to roll when he started going down. Might have hurt worse than he did.

JeffO said...

I hope he's feeling better and your vacation is enjoyable!

Memory-wise, I sometimes go the other way. I've had several books where I know I've started them, and am sure I never finished them, yet as I read, I'm thinking, "Yep, I remember this, I must have stopped right after this chapter. Nope, maybe the next one. I remember this, too...." It's strange.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - Hubby is doing better, thanks. As for my memory... I find it frustrating when reading the blurb doesn't knock my memory. Maybe the book wasn't all that great to begin with?