Sunday, March 19, 2023

Reading Update and Procrastination

I procrastinate. A lot. I seem to find other things to do to keep me from doing what I should. This is not news to me. I know I do it. I just don’t know why.

Why don’t I want to write? I used to look for time to write. Now, I just can’t seem to get my imagination to run wild (I sure loved it when it ran wild).

So instead of writing, I read. And crochet. And watch TV. I used to watch TV all the time, before writing. I hate that I watch TV during the day now, but yet, I do, because I like the TV on when I’m crocheting. And right now crocheting is more fun than writing.

I have excuses as to why I don’t write. I don’t like the set up I have in the sunroom. I don’t like my glasses. Yeah, these are things I can fix, but I just don’t. Actually, I’m not sure HOW to set up my sunroom without removing/replacing furniture. And I don’t know what kind of furniture would help.

And then, I get a thought that maybe I should just quit. Just retire. And the next thing I do, I sign up for another book convention, hoping that will motivate me.

So far they haven’t.

I want to finish Ghostly Protector. I NEED to finish it. And maybe it’s the finishing it that is causing me to procrastinate. Because if I finish it, I may just be finished. I don’t know.

It sure is hard being honest with yourself, isn’t it?

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 11

Dates read: March 14-19, 2023
Title: A Terrible Fall of Angels
Year of publication: 2021
Author: Laurel K. Hamilton
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Zaniel Havelock #1
# of Pages: 477
Paper or plastic: Mass Market Paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Book: Meet Zaniel Havelock, a man with the special ability to communicate directly with angels. A former trained Angel Speaker, he devoted his life to serving both the Celestial beings and his fellow humans with his gift, but a terrible betrayal compelled him to leave that life behind. Now he’s a cop who is still working on the side of angels. But where there are angels, there are also demons. There’s no question that there’s evil at work when he’s called in to examine the murder scene of a college student—but is it just the evil that one human being can do to another, or is it something  more? When demonic possession is a possibility, even angelic protection can only go so far. A race is on to stop a killer before he finds his next victim, as Zaniel is forced to confront his own very personal demons, and the past he never truly left behind.
My thoughts: Not exactly a fast-paced book. Lots of back story to get through and lots of events that don’t seem connected to one another. Plus, the author can overdo it with the description (like she does in the Anita Blake series). Parts of it were enjoyable, though, so I will probably try the next book in the series (when/if it’s released) just to see if maybe the pace picks up.

So… are you a hopeless procrastinator? Think there’s a cure for me?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sometimes we're just not inspired or a bit burned out. I didn't write for four years. (I'm sure yours won't last nearly that long!)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - It's getting close!!

The Happy Whisk said...

Hey Stacy!

Can you tell me about a time when you were writing a lot and what that space felt and/or looked like to you?

For me, the table/desk/bench or whatever I write on needs to bring me peace in a place that's uncluttered. Right now, I'm reading on the new kitchen table I built. I also write here, draw and eat.

This is my space and it brings me great joy to sit here.

If your office isn't working, can you recall a time when it did? What was different? How can you bring a peacefulness to that room that invites writing to the table?

The Happy Whisk said...

I did leave a comment here and now I don't know where it went? Ack!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - Your comment ended up in spam for some reason. Got it fixed. As for my space where I write... We moved to a new house in 2018. And I was doing fine in the new sunroom. Then COVID hit, and people were now in the house WITH me. My sunroom isn't working. I tried the dining room, but I still get interrupted. Way back when I started, I used to write on the couch, but that isn't even working. I think it's the interruptions, and there just isn't a place in the house where I can go and close the door. Probably need to try the library, but I'm too lazy to drive there (or rather, not motivated enough). My health issues aren't helping, either. It's just a lot of things piled on top of one another that are causing me problems.

The Happy Whisk said...

I get that. You've had a year for sure. I see you're on holiday/cruise now. Maybe that will refresh you. PS: Hubby likes to write at Barnes. Not sure if you've tried that. We love it!