Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Finished Reading “The Séance” and a Crochet Project

A writer friend had a bunch of yarn (which belonged to her mother who couldn’t crochet anymore) and was going to donate it to a thrift store run by a woman’s shelter. But another writer friend who runs the store didn’t think it would sell. She knew I crocheted and asked if I wanted it. I said I’d take it and make things for the store (like scarves and hats). Writer friend #2 said she had a lot of yarn in the store and asked if I wanted that, too. I said, why not?

I had no idea what I got myself into.

But I’ve made the store lots of blankets, scarves, hats, and miscellaneous things and they appear to sell quickly (although, I think she doesn’t sell them for very much).

I had some cotton yarn that I thought (THOUGHT) would make a nice market bag. Thing is, the bag turned out way bigger than I thought, and took much more yarn than I had on hand. So of course, I used my own leftover yarn to finish it, only to find out I didn’t have enough of that, either. On to the store I went. So what started out with left over yarn, ended up with purchased yarn. I figure I can keep some of the other cotton yarn for myself. Maybe.


Anyway… this is what I made. It was supposed to be 17” across. It’s more like 24”. Doubt I make another. It took way too much yarn. But that’s what I like about making things for the thrift store. I can try out patterns. If I don’t like them, I don’t make anymore. If I do like them, I have a new pattern to reuse.  

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 29

Dates read: Jun 2-7, 2023
Title: The Seance
Year of publication: 2007
Author: Heather Graham
Genre: Paranormal Romantic Suspense
Series: Harrison Investigations #5
# of Pages: 371
Paper or plastic: Mass market paperback
How obtained: Purchased used
Blurb from Book: A chill falls over Christina Hardy’s housewarming party when talk turns to a recent murder that has all the hallmarks of the so-called “Interstate Killer” murders from fifteen years before. To lighten the mood, the guests drag out an old Ouija board for a little spooky fun…and that’s when things become truly terrifying.
    Summoned by the Ouija board, the restless spirit of Beau Kidd, the lead detective—and chief suspect—on the original case, seeks Christina’s help: the latest killing isn’t a copycat crime, and he wants his name cleared. Back in the real world, cop-turned-writer Jed Braden is skeptical of Christina’s ghostly encounters, but his police sources confirm all the intimate details of the case—her otherworldly source is reliable, and the body count is growing.
    The spirits are right. The Interstate Killer is still out there and Christina’s life is hanging in the balance between this world and the next.
My thoughts: I’m glad I picked this series to begin my binge-reading. They have ghosts (yay!) and will hopefully get me back into my own ghost story. I liked this story. The mystery had me guessing for most of the book and brought back characters I actually remembered from the previous book. I like when that happens.

My son owns the dvd series of Deep Space 9. I felt like watching it again, so I borrowed them from him. I forgot how much I enjoyed the shows. And it’s nice to watch them while I’m crocheting, too. Keeps me from eating, anyways! Haha! I’ve already watched season 1 and started on season 2. I appear to be binging a lot lately. Books, TV. Hmmm… what else could I binge? Is there anything else?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

DS9 was the best Star Trek series! I've re-watched it several times.
That is really nice of you to make stuff for the store.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - As I'm watching DS9, I realize that the LAST time I had watched this series was when it first aired. It's like watching new episodes (because I certainly don't remember most of them).