Monday, August 14, 2023

Finished Reading “Criminal” and “Snatched” and Planning a Trip

Planning a trip. Like I don’t do that all the time, right? Well, this trip will be to Italy. Maybe. It depends on when it is next year (still in the planning stages) because we already have a cruise scheduled around the same time. But a friend of my daughter’s (who she went to Italy with a few years ago), plans these trips as a business. And ever since Daughter went, Hubby has wanted to go. So… we’ll see. Right now we’re just in the planning stages. But if the dates are right, we’ll be going.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 41

Dates read: August 5 – 14, 2023
Title: Criminal
Year of publication: 2012
Author: Karin Slaughter
Genre: Crime Suspense
Series: Will Trent #6
# of Pages: 462
Paper or plastic: Mass market paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Book: Will Trent is a brilliant agent with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Newly in love, he is beginning to put a difficult past behind him. Then a local college student goes missing, and Will is inexplicably kept off the case by his supervisor and mentor, deputy director Amanda Wagner. Will cannot fathom Amanda’s motivation until the two of them literally collide in an abandoned orphanage they have both been drawn to for different reasons. Decades before, when his father was imprisoned for murder, this was Will’s home. It appears that the case that launched Amanda’s career forty years ago has suddenly come back to life—and it involves the long-held mystery of Will’s birth and parentage. Now these two dauntless investigators will each need to face down demons from the past if they are to prevent an even greater terror from being unleashed.
My thoughts: The back and forth from past to present could probably get to some people (like Hubby), but I was able to follow well enough in print (it’s clearly marked when is when). Hubby listened to the audio book, which might have made it hard for him. Another good read, though.

Book 42

Dates read: August 14, 2023
Title: Snatched
Year of publication: 2012
Author: Karin Slaughter
Genre: Crime Suspense
Series: Will Trent #5.5
# of Pages: 69
Paper or plastic: Mass market paperback
How obtained: Purchased (at end of the book, Criminal)
Blurb from Book: Will Trent, a dedicated agent with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation for fifteen years, knows that there’s definitely such a thing as a cop’s intuition. Which is why he should have listened to his own.
    While in an airport restroom at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International, Will overhears a girl’s pleading, plaintive voice: “Please, I wanna go home.” Something isn’t right here, thinks Will. He feels it in his gut. But he waits too long to act, and now the girl and the anxious, angry man she’s with have disappeared into the crowds at the busiest passenger airport in the world.
    After a desperate search and with time running out, Will makes a call to his supervisor, Amanda Wagner. Will’s partner, Faith Mitchell, immediately sends out an abducted child alert. The entire airport will soon be grinding to a halt: Almost 100 million passengers a year. Five runways. Seven concourses. Six million square feet of space that sprawled across two counties, three cities, and five jurisdictions. All shut down on a dime because Will has a hunch that he is certain is true: a girl, maybe six or seven years old, has been snatched from God knows where. And he intends to bring her back—no matter what it takes.

My thoughts: I almost read this one first (since it was at the end of the paperback of Criminal), but thought it wouldn’t matter. Well, it sort of did. Just glad I was able to get a copy. And basically free! Haha!

With all our travels, you’d think Hubby and I have been to Europe. But we haven’t. Came close in 2020, but that trip was cancelled (gee, I wonder why?). When asked what I was interested in seeing or doing in Italy, I couldn’t name a thing. It’s not really a place I’ve dreamed of visiting. I’m going because Hubby wants to and I figure I’ll see some neat stuff. Like I told our tour guide, “I don’t know what I don’t know.”

Have you ever been to Italy?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A lot to see in Europe - been there several times. The British Isles and the Scandinavian region are the best.

The Happy Whisk said...

I love how much you love to travel. Italy sounds amazing.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - I'd love to visit both of those places.

Ivy - Travel wasn't possible until the kids grew up (and out). I'm just happy it's possible now!