Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Finished Reading “Unseen” and “Busted” and Summer’s Back

I know most of the country is suffering from heat exhaustion. Fortunately, it hasn’t been as brutal here, in Ohio. In fact, the grass is still GREEN outside. But this week summer has decided to come back in full force. 90-degree days every day this week. But, by the weekend, it should be back down below normal.

This has been one strange summer. Not that I’m complaining. We usually get 20 90-degree days. I think we’ve had 4 before this week. Not too shabby. For once, I’m happy living where I am.

Shocker, right?

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 43

Dates read: August 15 – 21, 2023
Title: Unseen
Year of publication: 2013
Author: Karin Slaughter
Genre: Crime Suspense
Series: Will Trent #7
# of Pages: 394
Paper or plastic: Mass market paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Book: Will Trent is a Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent, working undercover in Macon, Georgia, posing as Bill Black, a scary ex-con who trails an air of violence wherever he goes. The cover has worked and he has caught the eye of a wiry little drug dealer who thinks he might be a useful ally. But there’s a problem. Cut off from the support of the woman he loves, Sara Linton, Will finds his demons catching up with him. Although she has no idea where Will has gone, or why, Sara herself has come to Macon because of a cop shooting. Her stepson, Jared, has been gunned down. Suddenly, without even knowing it, Sara finds herself involved in the same case that Will is working—with danger swirling around both of them. A novel of fierce intensity, shifting allegiances and shocking twists, Unseen pits detectives, lovers, and enemies against one another in an unforgettable standoff between righteous courage and deepest evil.
My thoughts: Had some slow parts, but toward the end I didn’t want to put it down.

Book 44

Dates read: August 21, 2023
Title: Busted
Year of publication: 2013
Author: Karin Slaughter
Genre: Crime Suspense
Series: Will Trent #6.5
# of Pages: 68
Paper or plastic: Mass market paperback
How obtained: Purchased (at end of the book, Unseen)
Blurb from Goodreads: Detective Will Trent is standing in a Georgia convenience store, waiting on an obstinate Icee frozen drink machine. To the surveillance cameras and bored staff of the Lil’ Dixie Gas-n-Go, however, Will appears to be someone very different—the menacing ex-con Bill Black. Going undercover as Bill, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent is about to infiltrate the most corrupt town in the most corrupt county in the new American South. But first: his Icee.
    Everything changes in one horrific instant, as all hell breaks loose at the Lil’ Dixie. A cop is shot. A bag of cash goes flying across the floor. A young woman disappears while a killer takes off in a battered pick-up truck. Within seconds, Will is in pursuit.
My thoughts: Again, I should have read this short before Unseen, but I didn’t. Not that it matters, story-wise. But still, things happen in this short that kind of breaks into the beginning of Unseen. Lesson learned. Good short, though.

Hubby and I started watching Star Trek: Picard. It started out a little slow (quiet, actually), but we only have two episodes left in season 1 and we’re both anxious to see how it all ends (or if it leaves us hanging for season 2). After Picard, we’ll probably watch Star Trek: Strange New Worlds and finish Star Trek: Discovery (we’ve watched through season 3). As for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, I’m watching season 7. I’m enjoying them this time around. So little I remember from watching when they first aired on TV, though. I had my son bring over Star Trek: Voyager and will get started on those after I finish DS9. I guess I’m just on a Star Trek kick for now.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Nothing wrong with a Star Trek kick. I made it halfway through the second season of Picard - it got too stupid. But season three was better. DS9 is still my favorite. Watched all of them at least four times now!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - I'm enjoying Picard because of all the guest stars from TNG (and Voyager). Don't know when I'll get to season 2, though.