Friday, September 20, 2024

Finished Reading “The Taken” and Recovering from Dragon Con

I came home from Dragon Con with con crud, or a cold, or maybe it’s just allergies. What I do know is it’s not COVID. I took three tests just to be sure.

My nose is a faucet. And I’m going through tissues like crazy. My oncologist prescribed Zyrtec (the prescribed version) and Flonase. I hate taking them. Zyrtec just wipes me out. I feel like a zombie when I take it. I try to remember to take Flonase, but that’s not fun, either. I hope I’m all dried up by next Friday. That’s when we leave for Italy!

I am anxious about that trip since I’ve never been to Europe before. I’ll actually get my passport stamped (that’ll be a first, too, since they don’t stamp them in the Caribbean). I also expect to be doing a lot of walking. Sure hope I survive the trip!

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 26

Dates read: September 7 – 20, 2024
Title: The Taken
Year of publication: 2023
Author: Brett Battles
Genre: Suspense/Thriller
Series: Jonathan Quinn #16
# of Pages: 320
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Book: The world thought Dmitri Melnikov was dead.
    Especially Quinn. Why would he have believed otherwise, since the bomb intended for Melnikov had nearly killed Quinn and several members of his team?
    But Melnikov is not dead. He has been taken by someone who wants to shut him up. And the former chess champion isn’t the only one who has been abducted.
    US Intelligence can’t do anything about it. Not officially, anyway. The risk of causing an international incident is too great. What the agencies can do is ask someone who’d been there when Melnikov was kidnapped to do something for them.
    It’s not a normal mission for Quinn and his friends, and the chances they’ll all survive are slim, but this one is personal. So how can they say no?
Recommend: Yes
My thoughts:
Good story. Almost seems like the end to the series. It’s all wrapped up as if it were the end. But I’ll gladly read more if it continues. I love this series.

Sure seems like summer is fighting to stick around, doesn’t it? It’s been in the 90s the last few days. We’re going to a high school football game tonight and will probably sweat in the stands. It will be our last game of the season for us (since we’ll be out of town for the last 5 games), so no cold or rainy games to look forward to. Looks like we won’t be missing much, either. Our first string QB broke his collar bone on the first game. The back-up broke his leg on the second game. We’re down to the third string with a running back as backup. They haven’t won a game since the first game. Worst season in quite a while. I feel bad for the seniors.  

Happy Reading!

Stacy

No comments: