Saturday, September 12, 2026

Finished “Friction” and Cruising to Alaska

Been cruising since September 10 and will dock in Juneau tomorrow afternoon, when our excursion will take us to the dog sledders and…PUPPIES! I’m really looking forward to that. So far the weather has been cool, but dry.

Our time in San Francisco only enhanced my dislike of that city. I can’t believe it now costs $8.50 to cross on a bridge INTO the city. And if you don’t want to pay the toll, you’ll pay it in gas to get around the bay. And it wasn’t the toll so much that bugged us, but that they don’t take cash (or credit) anymore. We had a rental and no way to pay the toll ourselves, so now we’ll probably get hit with fees because we had to rely on the plate reader.

Of course, that’s not the only reason I dislike the city. It’s just too damn crowded. I can’t believe I used to drive to that city to visit my great aunt (all by myself, too!). But that was back in the 70s, before all the freeways were in and around the city. I can’t believe how much traffic is there now. It’s unreal!

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 22

Dates read: September 11, 2026
Title: Friction
Year of publication: 2015
Author: Sandra Brown
Genre: Romantic suspense
Series: N/A
# of Pages: 452
Paper or plastic: Mass market paperback
How obtained: Free from a convention
Blurb from book: Following the death of his wife, Crawford Hunt, a Texas Ranger, fell into a downward spiral that left him relegated to desk work and with his five-year-old daughter in the custody of her grandparents. But Crawford has cleaned up his act and now the fate of his family lies with Judge Holly Spencer. Ambitious and confident, Holly temporarily occupies the bench of her recently deceased mentor. With an election upcoming, she must prove herself worthy of making her judgeship permanent. Every decision is high-stakes. When a masked gunman barges into the courtroom during the guardianship hearing, Crawford reacts instinctually, saving Holly from a bullet. But his heroism soon takes on the taint of recklessness. The cloud over him grows even darker after he uncovers a horrifying truth about the courtroom gunman and realizes that the unknown person behind the shooting remains at large—and a threat.
Recommend: Yes
My thoughts:
I’m pretty sure I got this book at a book convention. Which one? I have no idea. But the author is well known, so why not take one of her books. Of course, it has taken me this long to actually read it and surprise! I enjoyed it. I could probably read any of her books because I do love romantic suspense. Even if it doesn’t have any “woo-woo” in it. Haha!

Have you ever been to San Francisco? Saw my first Waymo there. Even followed one as I was driving around while Hubby went to get his stamp and our magnet at two of the sites in SF (I wasn’t about to use my phone to pay for street parking—even if I could find a spot to park in). But those cars scare me. I don’t think I’d be brave enough to get in one. Would you?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

No comments: