Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Bad Habits

We all have bad habits. Don't we? Gee – I hope so. I'd hate to think I was the only one.

My habits have fluctuated over the years. Some I managed to kick, others are stuck with me for life, I fear.

When I was a little girl (in the single digits), I liked to chew my hair. I think it drove my mother bonkers, so she cut it. Short. Kids called me Julie Andrews and not because I looked cute. "The Sound of Music" had just come out and my hairstyle was similar to hers.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, I think that's how my mother got me to go along with her plan.

Mom: "Honey, how'd you like to look like Julie Andrews?"

Me, nodding like an idiot: "Okay!"

Luckily, I kicked that habit. My hair is long now and while I like to twirl it (a habit I fear I'll have for life), I no longer feel the need to chew it. Do I thank my mother? Do you think she knew that if I could no longer chew it, it would no longer become a habit?

I've read that it takes two weeks of doing something continuous for it to become a habit. Is that the way to break one, too? And why is it so easy to stop good habits, but not so easy to stop the bad?

I tried to get into a habit of cleaning my house. Fifteen minutes a day of "uncluttering". I mean, fifteen minutes is nothing! Easy peasy! So how come I can't even do it three days in a row? Should I tell myself it's a bad habit? You think that'll work?

If you beat a bad habit or created a good one, please tell me – how'd you do it?

No comments: