Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Wednesday Reads and a Week from H-E-Double Hockey Sticks

It’s been a bad week of editing. Of course, is it ever good when you’re told the story is moving too slowly? Cut, cut, cut. I hope I’ve cut enough. I don’t think I can take much more. I think I’ll be done tomorrow and then I’ll have to read it to make sure I didn’t screw everything up. I really hate it when I do that!

At least the Penguins won the first round of playoffs. Something good DID happen this week!

Plain old reading has been taking a back seat, that’s for sure. Here’s what I read during the week:

Apr 22: “Bobbie Faye's Sizzling Heart Breaking Can't Stop Collision With Heat (Bobbie Faye 0.5)” by Toni McGee Causey, a short story. This is a Bobbie Faye and Cam prequel, which takes place before book 1 of the series. This was a fun little glimpse into what Bobbie Faye and Cam had before the relationship bombed. I gave this 5 stars on Goodreads.

Apr 22: “Bobbie Faye's Critically Spectacular Insanely Bad Failure to Communicate (Bobbie Faye 1.5)” by Toni McGee Causey, a short-short story. About a hostage situation featuring…who else. Takes place between books 1 and 2 of the series. The story isn’t told linear and, added to my problems with the formatting, made it a little hard to follow. Because of that, I gave this 4 stars on Goodreads. Otherwise, the story is funny, just executed strangely (which others probably don’t have a problem with).

Apr 23: “Bobbie Faye's Whacked Out, No Good, Really Sucky, Hot Mess of a Wedding” by Toni McGee Causey, a short story/novella that wraps up the series. And a fine wrap-up at that. I gave this 5 stars on Goodreads.

I received all three of these as one pdf from the author when I signed up for her newsletter (Goodreads only had a cover for one) and was so happy to get them because I couldn’t find them anywhere else! (These stories show up separately on Goodreads, so I’m taking credit for reading THREE books. That means I’ll aim for reading two books over my goal.) I love this series. I love Bobbie Faye. It was nice being back in her world, even for a short time.

Tonight the hubby and I are going to Columbus to see Cher in concert. I expect to be highly entertained--I kind of need it. I mean, it’s Cher! When is she NOT entertaining?

So… Who performed at the last concert you attended? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Happy reading!

Stacy

 

9 comments:

JeffO said...

Last concert I attended...Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. Excellent show, I heartily recommend them when they come to town.

The Happy Whisk said...

Love Cher - she is so fun.

Sorry about all the chopping, but I know you'll nail it in the end.

Keep going. You rock.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - If they ever show up around here, I'll keep that in mind!

Ivy - Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Bonnie Gill said...

Oh I bet that would be a great concert. Can you take pictures? Is their laws or anything against that?
The last concert I went to was Van Halen reunion tour with David Lee Roth. He forgot some of the words to one of the songs but overall he sounded good and they played all the great songs. Before that I went to a Motley Crew concert and it was AMAZING.
Have fun tonight.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Bonnie - I was able to take pictures. Not good pictures, though. I think with the way most people carry smart phones that have cameras, it's kind of hard to enforce the "no camera" law I used to see at every concert, which I never understood anyway. It's not like you can take a professional looking picture when there's so many people in front of you.

LD Masterson said...

This is funny. I attended a Cher concert a bunch of years ago at the Nutter Center. It was her Farewell Tour. Er, one of her Farewell Tours. Hey, as long as she's still going strong...

Have fun.

Stacy McKitrick said...

LD - She said this was her farewell tour, too. Then crossed her fingers. :)

Michael Seese said...

I appreciate the common advice about "killing darlings." But I always worry I'll kill something that provides a critical element. (And since *I* know the story, I can't see it's critical.)

Last concert: Paris Combo at the Cleveland Museum Of Art.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Michael - That's probably why it's better someone else (like, say, an editor), tells you what part is slow and not needed. Doesn't make it FEEL any better, though! :)