Friday, March 17, 2017

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Since today is St. Patrick’s Day, I thought I’d go with a GREEN theme! That way you can’t pinch my blog. Hahahahaha!

My last name is Irish (now), but would you believe I’m more Irish than my husband? My paternal grandmother was born there as was my maternal great-grandfather. Hubby’s Irish ancestors came over way back in the early 1800s! But my maiden name (Thurber) didn’t reflect my Irish roots.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, I AM related to James Thurber. We share a distant relative (I just don’t remember which one).

I like the fact my last name is Irish now (and has been for 37 years). Now I just have to remember to wear something green today (because that’s the only Irish thing I do). I tend to forget that stuff when the Penguins are playing—I just grab a Penguins t-shirt.

Yesterday I finally got time to complete my city income tax. I really hate their site. The instructions are in docx files (I can’t open those and don’t necessarily want to download another program on my laptop so I can). Why would they do that? What’s wrong with PDFs? Ugh.

Then their fill-in form doesn’t even calculate correctly. After printing it, I crossed off the wrong number and filled in the correct one. I plan on taking the form to the office and will pay in person (yeah, we owe a little bit), just in case they have issues with my return.

I liked it so much better when they used to mail me the forms. I get nothing from them now. Not even a reminder.

After a pretty busy week, it would be nice to have a quiet weekend, but that won’t be the case. My RWA chapter is having a mini event (two speakers) which will last all day (8:30-5:30 + 2 hrs of total driving). I may be lucky to get out of bed on Sunday.

So… Do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? Drink green beer? Eat corned beef and cabbage? Go to Chicago to see the river turn green? Or are you like me: stay at home, eat normal food, and watch TV?

Happy Friday!

Stacy

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Cool that you're really Irish. Sorry, no Penguins jersey for you today.
A pdf file would be easier. No docx? That's an old version of Word you have there.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - Actually, I AM wearing my Penguins t-shirt. I found my green sweater to wear over it! Yay me! :) Oh, and I have Word 2003, so yeah... ancient.

Jennifer Lee Rossman said...

You can use a file conversion site like Zamzar to change those docxs to something more friendly.
I'm part Irish, but don't do anything to celebrate. My uncle once colored their dog green, though (we assume he'd been drinking already). :P

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennifer - I'd almost assume the dog was drunk if he let someone dye his fur green! Poor puppy! :)

Theresa Milstein said...

No green beer for me, but I am half Irish. My maiden name was Brown, and my grandmother's maiden name was Walsh. Now my last name is much less Irish.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Theresa - I'll never understand the green beer part. Then again, I don't understand beer at all. Ugh.