Friday, March 24, 2017

How Short? Oh Crap!

Remember that short story I told you about (if you forgot or didn’t read about it, it was on Wednesday). I started in on it and about 400 words later realized that maybe I started in the wrong spot.

The story is supposed to only be 500-1000 words long. What I had started was going to be waaaaay longer than that. Crap. I really didn’t want to scrap what I wrote, because I kind of liked what I had.

Then Hubby suggested I write the short story for my newsletter instead.

While that would work, I still needed something for the guest blog. Then realized I could still share the hidden treasure part on the Literary Escapism blog, but I’d just have stuff before and after that I could share with my newsletter subscribers first. And… (I love it when I think all evil like this), I could invite the readers of the blog to subscribe to my newsletter if they want to read the whole thing.

Score! Problem solved.

Now I can make it as long as I want (well, to a point). Hmmm… except I still have to figure out exactly what kind of hidden treasure Bridget and Rob find in that basement. Oh well, I’m sure it’ll come to me.

Hey, did you notice that the Penguins have secured a playoff spot? I’m happy dancing here! I love playoff hockey when my team is playing!

Hubby is doing so much better when he does a little work during the day. It also keeps him awake more so that he can sleep at night (which he couldn’t do when he napped all day). So my job is to keep him active. Looks like the weather will cooperate for the next couple of days. Time to go walking!

So… If you were reading a short story from one of your favorite authors, featuring characters from a previous book, would you care if it ran long? I’m thinking not, because I certainly wouldn’t care. I kind of eat that stuff up!

Happy Friday!
 
Stacy

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Go Pens!
Clever way to get new subscribers to your newsletter. And write the story you want.
Have a great weekend.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - Clever. I like being clever. I need to be that way more often, though. Haha! :)