Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Wednesday Reads and a Short Story Idea

When I registered for Rust City Book Con (to be held in Troy, MI, August 4-6), I was asked if I wanted to participate in a short story event the Literary Escapism blog plans to put on just before the con. The theme is Hidden Treasures. I just have to feature characters from one of my books discovering a new bit of treasure. I thought it would be fun, so I said I’d do it.

Of course this was before we learned Hubby’s cancer had returned. Writing fiction since his surgery has been pretty much non-existent, and I had forgotten about this assignment. Until yesterday, when I came across my reminder note.

Seeing that note jolted something inside me. Maybe it’s my muse, who knows. But suddenly writing a short story seemed…doable. So I thought about which characters I wanted to use. Then it hit me (I love it when ideas do that!). I have this block of time between Ghostly Liaison and Ghostly Interlude (which isn’t published yet). I have Rob, who hasn’t been able to go through his parents’ stuff since they died, and Bridget, just moving into his house and wondering what’s in the basement. Voila! Hidden Treasures.

I’m getting excited about writing now. Yay!

Here’s what I read the past week:

Dates read: March 12-19
Title: “No One Left To Tell”
Year of publication: 2012
Author: Karen Rose
Genre: Romantic suspense
Series: Romantic Suspense #13, Baltimore #2
# of Pages: 518
Paper or plastic: Mass market paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Book: A minivan crashes in front of rookie PI Paige Holden’s home. And suddenly she finds one of her pro bono clients dying in her arms—from a gunshot wound. With her last breath, the woman whispers cryptic words into Paige’s ear and hands her a blood-smeared flash drive.
   Five years earlier, State’s Attorney Grayson Smith put a murderer behind bars. But when Paige shares the flash drive with him, its contents cast doubts on the conviction—and lead Paige and him into a world of blackmail, dark secrets, and a decades-long string of murders. An investigation they’ll survive only by trusting each other—and the truth.
My thoughts: Lots of twists and turns. Lots of characters. And a story taking place within a span of 5 days! You’d think it’d drive me nuts, but it didn’t. I started reading this series with book #12 (then skipped to #16 because that’s what I had at the time) and while you don’t HAVE to read these in order, I’m finding I want to now. Because Paige was introduced in another book (Minneapolis #2), so I’m guessing other characters might be moving around, too. I won’t know that unless I read all the books. Which I’m sure I will. Someday. Which means…time to go stick them in my wish list!
   See… All this from reading a freebie first (I got it at a convention). It’s a trap, I tell you. A trap. Authors can be just as bad as drug dealers. I know, I just lumped myself into that statement! At least what we sell isn’t illegal, or life-threatening. J

One week down, five to go. Hubby is already struggling with the chemo and radiation, but promises me he’ll continue to force himself to eat. Most food tastes awful to him and he’s afraid to eat his favorites (for fear of ruining them). It’s been trial and error (mostly error), but he’s found a few things that don’t “gross him out.” He also thinks he sleeps too much (although it was kind of expected), but I told him not to worry about that. I can’t imagine sleep being bad for him.

So… Has anything piqued your interest lately? Maybe writing short stories is exactly the kind of thing I need to do right now. Not a lot of time and dedication is needed for those, and I can write while Hubby naps! J 

Happy Reading!

Stacy

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad an idea hit for that project.
A friend's wife recently went through chemo and yes, it wiped her out for a couple days afterwards. Tell him sleeping is very normal.

JeffO said...

I love it when an idea comes through like that--have fun with it, it seems like you need it!

Hubby's body is being assaulted with chemicals and radiation, and is fighting hard, too--desire to sleep is to be expected. I hope he feels better and finds his appetite again.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - Hope your friend's wife recovered nicely. Cancer sucks!

Jeff - It's not his appetite that has gone away (he still gets hungry), it's just that everything tastes bad. Well, most everything. I just hope it's not permanent.

Maria Zannini said...

Cancer fatigue is normal especially during treatment. Short naps are best. Once he's rested, see if he'll take a walk with you.

There's nothing wrong with more sleep. He needs it. But a little exercise is good for the soul and the body.

God bless you both.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I haven't been too into writing lately. Mostly house stuff has piqued my interest.

Sorry to hear the treatment has been hitting your honey hard, but I think that's typical. Continuing to send good thoughts for his speedy recovery!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - I'd love to go out for a walk with him, but the weather has not been cooperating. Today is finally a CLEAR day, but the temps won't be higher than 39! Warm weather will return, but I think so will the rain. Ugh.

Jennette - Getting ready to move will do that to a person, huh?

LD Masterson said...

Everyone I'm close to who has gone through chemo or radiation has needed a ton of extra sleep. But in between, help him be as active as he can - mind and body - so depression doesn't take over.

Good luck with the short story.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Linda - He felt better today because he actually worked from home. I'm hoping he'll continue to do that so he doesn't get depressed.