Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Wednesday Reads

Here’s what I read the past week:

Dates read: February 21 – March 1
Title: “Huntress Moon”
Year of publication: 2012 (digital)/2014 (print)
Author: Alexandra Sokoloff
Genre: Thriller
Series: The Huntress/FBI Thrillers Book 1
# of Pages: 364
Paper or plastic: Paper
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Book: FBI Special Agent Matthew Roarke is closing in on a bust of a major criminal organization in San Francisco when he witnesses an undercover member of his team killed in front of him on a busy street, an accident Roarke can’t believe is coincidental. His suspicions put him on the trail of a mysterious young  woman who appears to have been present at each scene of a years-long string of “accidents” and murders, and who may well be that most rare of killers: a female serial.
   Roarke’s hunt for her takes him across three states…while in a small coastal town, a young father and his five-year old son, both wounded from a recent divorce, encounter a lost and compelling young woman on the beach and strike up an unlikely friendship without realizing how deadly she may be.
  As Roarke uncovers the shocking truth of her background, he realizes she is on a mission of her own, and must race to capture her before more blood is shed.
My thoughts: Interesting story. Only issues I had with it were the present tense whenever in the villain’s point of view (everyone else was in past tense) and the fact it didn’t really end. No cliffhanger (thank goodness), but lots of questions were left unanswered. There are four books (so far) in this series and I haven’t decided whether or not I want to read more. Not because the book wasn’t good, but only because I fear the others won’t really end, either. But if you’re looking for a thriller series, you might want to check this one out.

So… Of series that contains the same characters, does it bother you if the main issue is unresolved, like in The Fugitive (each book/episode with the same villain)? As I ask this question, I realize I read lots of paranormal romance series like that. Sort of. I guess it’s a fine line between what is acceptable to be unresolved and what is unacceptable. In romances, as long as the couple reaches their happy ever after or happy for now ending, the rest is okay. But for other genres… I’m just not as forgiving. Unless they’re one of my favorite authors. Then I can forgive almost anything. Almost. J

Appreciate any good thoughts you can send our way as Hubby starts his chemo & radiation therapy today.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It doesn't have to be a happy ending, but I do like a satisfying one. Which means an actual ending and wrap up.
Thoughts and prayers for your husband today.

JeffO said...

I don't think there's a cut-and-dried answer to your question. As long as the books are well done, an author can keep pitting the same characters against each other. If the series just feels like the same old thing, book after book,that will lose me.

Best of luck to your husband and you--be strong, and don't forget to take care of yourself while you're helping him!

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Prayers and good thoughts heading your way!

I could go on and on about endings! Most people, including you (thanks!) were OK with my first book's happy-for-now ending. But I was absolutely crucified in a review for it. Guess that reader had to have every single thread neatly tied in a bow, never mind it was the first in a series. Even this is subjective!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - I prefer actual endings, not thinking, "huh" when I'm through.

Jeff - But if I already KNOW there are several books ahead with the same characters, it kind of tells me how the book I'm reading will end, doesn't it? No surprises.

Jennette - Ah, we all get crucified no matter what we do, don't we?

All - Thanks for the well wishes. But it looks like treatment won't start today. Hubby will need a port (his veins couldn't handle the IV needle), so he'll start treatment next week. Frustrating. He just wants this over with. I'm with him, too!

LD Masterson said...

As you said, in some genres carryover loose ends work better than others. And we forgive our favorite author almost anything. Until we don't and then they're not our favorite authors any more.

Sending prayers for your hubby.

Maria Zannini said...

All my best wishes for you and your hubby.

The Happy Whisk said...

I dunno. I guess I want some sort of ending, doesn't have to be happy but it does have to make me be glad I read the book.

Healing wishes to your hubby.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Linda - I haven't had a favorite author turn into a not-favorite author...yet. Hope THAT never happens!

Maria - Thanks!

Ivy - Yeah, I like the feeling that I was GLAD to have read the book. That's a good way to put it, too. :)