Sunday, January 3, 2010

Football and Writing

OSU Won the Rose Bowl. Steelers out of the playoffs.

Not a perfect weekend, but at least the Rams will have first pick in the draft (ha ha).

Writing is going well. Or maybe I should say that the editing is going well. Practice is making perfect (or close to it – I hope!). I’m able to recognize my “telling” parts much more easily and sometimes I think the telling should stay, while other times I see the need to expand and show.

And I’ve been having fun with that. I know my characters so much better now that editing them is easier. Showing is easier. It also tells me that when I start a new book with new characters, I need to write a bio or back story of the main characters. Not to use in the book necessarily, but to help me understand the characters better. I could probably write them like short stories. That might be fun. In fact, I’m playing around with writing a short story about John and how he was turned into a vampire. It would certainly be something I could share with my writing group. I’ll have to give it a try.

I’m also able to recognize those parts in my book that need to go. I almost jumped for joy when I realized I needed to chop out nearly five pages because the scene wasn’t going anywhere. Where did that come from? I don’t know, but I’m glad it came. I’m seeing my book in a whole new light, now. YEA!

No comments: