Thursday, January 28, 2010

Obsessions

Is it okay to be obsessed? Sometimes I wonder.

I’ve recently come to the conclusion that I am an obsessed person. Not with everything. God, I’d give anything to be obsessed with house cleaning, but nooo.

As a kid, I was obsessed with television shows. “The Partridge Family” comes to mind – I was a huge David Cassidy fan. Had to have every magazine his face was plastered on. Him and Bobby Sherman (yes, loved “Here Come the Brides”, too).

But TV and celebrities aside, ten years ago I was obsessed with owning a Toyota Celica. Read everything about it. I just had to have that car. Then I test drove it. That pretty much killed that obsession. Reality struck (I ended up buying a Nissan Altima instead – much more practical).

Besides with being obsessed with writing (and what writer isn’t?), now I’m obsessed with a bright yellow Nissan Xterra. I want one. And you know why? All because I wanted John (the character in my book) to have a bright yellow SUV. I nicknamed it “The Bumblebee” in my book and that’s what I call every yellow Xterra I see now.

I told my husband I need to test drive it so I can get rid of this obsession. But what if I love driving it? Then I’m doomed. I will have to get one. And I told my husband if I get published, I’m buying one.

There’s a problem, though. Nissan no longer makes them in yellow. 2008 was the last for that color. I’m heart broken. I want a yellow one.

So, am I strange? Or does everyone have an obsession every now and then?

7 comments:

DL Hammons said...

Don't get me started on obsessions. I have a few. Maybe your obsession for the Xterra is the reason why you wanted John to drive one. Nothing wrong with being obsessed with a car new car. Expensive, but not wrong.

Stacy McKitrick said...

The strange thing is, I didn't obsess about that car until AFTER I found it and wrote about it. Before I did my search on the internet, I didn't even know what they were. I'm crazy that way!

Jeanne Estridge said...

So maybe you need to buy a second-hand one! Now!

(I'm not only obsessive -- I'm also impatient.)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Hi Jeanne. Nice to see you here!

If we didn't already own three cars (that are completely paid for, by the way), I'd probably do just that. But the thought had crossed my mind!

Anonymous said...

I certainly do! Mine has to do with YouTube. No joke :P I'm currently obsessed with Disney crossover videos.

Also anime. And anything related to Japan. So yeah, I get the obsession thing!

The Viking Princess said...

Don't think bumble bee yellow think Hulk Hogan yellow and I bet you will get over your yellow obsession.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Actually, when I think of my Xterra, I think in terms of Steeler yellow. Also, I want yellow because it's so easy to spot in the parking lot!

I don't remember Hulk Hogan ever wearing yellow, though, but then I never was a fan of wrestling.