Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Baseball Fun and Wednesday Reads

Went to my first Reds game of the season yesterday (probably my only, too—the price of attending can get costly) and Joey Votto is hurt! Boo Hoo! I wanted to see him play. I wore my jersey anyway.

I was pretty sure the Reds were going to lose. They were down 5-0 at the end of 4. And they were playing the Cubs! But in the 5th they scored 1. In the 6th they scored 1 in the 7th they scored 2 (whoo hoo) and in the 8th they tied it up! Now the game was getting exciting (whereas before I had wanted to sleep). Billy Hamilton (my next favorite player after Votto), scored the winning run in the 9th! With the 35 minute rain delay at the beginning, we didn’t get home until 1am and then the hubs didn’t set his alarm, so I didn’t get this posted on time. Oh well, it was a great game (after those miserable first four innings—I know, it’s never a great game if your team loses, huh, and our friends, who are Cubs fans, didn’t think it was such a great game).

Next up: on Friday AND Saturday I’ll be attending Dragons games. Lots of baseball! Love it.

Now onto what I read during the week:

Jul 5: “Hawk” by Patricia A. Rasey, #2 in the Sons of Sangue series, a paranormal romance. Blurb on back: Kaleb “Hawk” Tepes, as president of the Sons of Sangue and descendant of Vlad III, needs to keep his head focused on club business. Trouble is someone wants to divest him of it for a crime he committed against his vampire predecessors. He can’t afford distractions, especially those that come in the form of a five-foot-two sprite named Suzi, who once belonged to his nephew. In a moment of weakness, he makes a snap decision that can only spell trouble. Now faced with the one person who wants him dead, Kaleb must make the ultimate sacrifice or chance losing the only woman he truly desired forever. Suzi Stevens has tried hard to put her past behind her and move forward. The one man she yearns for over all others, believes her to be nothing but cold-hearted. Hearing that someone has tried to behead him, she shelves past prejudices and rushes to his side, needing to see for herself that he’s all right. What she doesn’t count on is Hawk’s demand to take her a s his personal blood donor. Now forced to endure his company, she fears losing her heart for all eternity to the one person who has the power to crush her. Mmm, mmm, mmm. Let me start out and say: Kaleb was an ass through a good portion of this book, but sometimes I think all men are (at one time or another), so I could forgive him. Sexy and suspenseful with some hot, hot, hot vampires. I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads.

Jul 8: “Deadly Chemistry” by Teri Anne Stanley, a romantic suspense. Blurb from Goodreads: Former undercover cop Mike Gibson has been lying low, working as a maintenance man to put his troubled younger brother through college. But when a beautiful scientist enlists Mike’s help to repair the damage done to her lab by a group of vandals, Mike finds that his, and his brother's pasts, are about to be brought to light. Laura Kane was happy having a secret crush on the hot maintenance man at Tucker University, but when the drug she was studying is stolen, Laura has a chance to get to know Mike in person. The problem is, he seems to know more about what's going on than any maintenance man should. But then the drug turns up in the wrong hands, and Mike and Laura have to decide if their own chemistry will help, or hinder, the race to save innocent lives. Okay, Goodreads states the character’s name as Laura, but it’s actually Lauren! Oops. This was a fun, light-hearted read, yeah, even for a romantic suspense. From the cute meet, I realized this book was not made to be serious, so I went in and enjoyed the ride. If you’re looking for a quick, fun read, this is your book. Don’t worry about the science-nerdy stuff if that’s not your thing. It’s not really all that nerdy. But if it is your thing, the hot-hero stuff more than makes up for that. J I gave this book 4 stars on Goodreads.
 
Now, let me state up front: I met Patricia Rasey at RAGT and I know Teri Anne Stanley. I was "signing" next to Patricia (well, she was signing and I was just sitting there looking pretty) and we got to talking (she's from Toledo!!). Her books were very popular that day (heck, I bought them, too!). And Teri Anne Stanley is in my OVRWA chapter, so yes, I bought her book because of that. But my "reviews" are for real. I'm super glad I enjoyed these books, or I wouldn't have said ANYTHING at all about them (which should be a major hint when I don't enjoy a book, huh?).

So… Did you get enough sleep last night? I’m thinking I didn’t. J

Happy reading!

Stacy

 

9 comments:

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I did not get enough sleep last night, but that's because of insomnia, not baseball . I'm with you on reviewing friends' books: if I don't like them, I don't say anything! Luckily, I have lots of talented friends. :)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - Sorry to hear about the insomnia. I think the first four innings of that game might have cured you, though. :) I truly had trouble keeping my eyes open.

JeffO said...

My internal clock is all out of whack lately, so I'm tending to wake up close to an hour earlier than I should. Ugh. Glad you enjoyed the game!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - Doesn't seem to matter what time I go to bed, if the alarm isn't set, I tend to wake up around 7. Today my husband didn't set the alarm. I woke up at 7:20. I think I should probably go to bed early tonight. We'll see if THAT happens! :)

The Happy Whisk said...

I finally got a good night of sleep and ... I even read a fiction book.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - Yay to a good night of sleep. Double yay to reading a fiction book. Which one?

LD Masterson said...

Glad the Reds gave you a good game. If you're at the Dragon's game on Saturday, stop by the big concession stand behind section 107-108 and buy something from my hubby Stan or my son Matt. They're working for the Stebbins Band Boosters that night.

Stacy McKitrick said...

LD - We sit in section 112. I'll try and remember, but we usually don't buy anything from the concession stands because we usually eat before we get to the park. :)

The Happy Whisk said...

An eBook from Suzan Harden. It was fun to read on the Nook. I think that's the first time I read one like that. I'm going to try yours when it's out this fall as well.

I tell ya, it's fun reading on the Nook. Usually Tim reads from it at night and I fall asleep because he's got a great reading voice.

Anyway, now I'm into it and it's fun. Though I do find myself wanting to manually turn the page.