Monday, November 17, 2014

The End is Getting Closer

I wish I could say that about my current WIP. But I’m not working on that right now. I’ve got to get Blind Temptation ready for my editor, so I’m working on that instead.

No, the end that is getting closer is my computer.

I’ve been cursing it a lot lately. I can tolerate its slowness (sort of). It seems to take forever to warm up in the morning, almost making me consider just leaving it on 24/7.

Almost.

I can even tolerate the fact that some of my programs are a little outdated because I have Vista. The programs don’t affect my writing, so I’m okay with it. Same with the slow computer. It doesn’t affect Word or my writing.

What has me cursing my computer is my space bar. Seems it doesn’t always like to space. Words have been sticking together (likethis). It’s kind of frustrating, especially since I tend to type fast (see… two years of beginning typing really did help!).

I don’t want to get a new computer. Not yet. But if my keyboard is going out… Sure, I could probably buy a plug-in keyboard, but that kind of defeats the purpose of writing on my lap! And then there’s the whole learning a new keyboard (I type by touch) and I’d rather just have to learn once on the new computer.

Can you tell I hate change? Which is kind of funny. I used to tell people all the time—during job interviews—that change didn’t bother me. Man, what a lie THAT was!

When I get used to something where I don’t have to think about it, I don’t want it to change. I’d rather think about more important things. Like my story. I don’t want to have to worry about hitting the wrong keys or deleting instead inserting.

Oh heck, I’m already doing that on this keyboard. The keys are too close together as it is. That’s why I plan on getting a larger laptop. One with the side number keys (man, I really miss those). But not until a better Windows program comes out. I sure hope that’s soon.

And if you see two words stuck together, ones that I miss, please forgive me. It’s my computer’s fault. Honest!

HS Football Playoff Update: Wayne won their game against Dublin-Coffman on Saturday night, 44-35. They should have won it 44-21, but either they got lazy or the cold got to them. I know the cold got to me. I swear, my feet were frozen! The only good thing about the weather is that it wasn’t windy or rainy or snowy. It was just cold. And next week I’m going to make sure I have some thicker socks on—and my boots. I hate it when my feet get cold. And my nose. And my hands. Oh heck, I just hate being cold.

Why is it I can’t have hot flashes when I NEED them?

So… How was your weekend? Did you keep warm? Did you wake up to snow this morning? I’ll let you know in the comments if I did here. Although we are on a winter weather advisory. 3-5” of snow forecasted. Aaack! Too soon! Too soon!

Have a great day! And if it's above freezing where you're at, let me know. I'll come visit! J

Stacy

11 comments:

JeffO said...

Woke up to the scrape of the plow. Not a lot of snow, maybe an inch, but it's snow, and I'm not really happy about it. I have become my father.

B.E. Sanderson said...

Look on the bright side, with the holidays approaching, there'll be some really good sales on computers. Having to learn a new one is a pain, but it can't be more of a pain than your spacebar not working.

We got a dusting of snow instead of the 1-3 inches they predicted, but man is it cold. 19 right now.

Maria Zannini said...

I hate it when my computer gives me trouble.

If you think you it's on its last leg, why not try to find a replacement keyboard and install it yourself? Google it. I'm sure you can find a replacement part out there and far cheaper than buying a new machine.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - No snow plow, but plenty of snow. Heavy, wet snow, and it's clinging to everything. Hope the power lines hold!

Beth - The sales will only come in handy if the new Windows is out before that. I'm not holding my breath.

Maria - Don't know how to install a new keyboard on a laptop. I've tried the canned air, too. I think it made it worse. Then again, maybe it's not my keyboard. Maybe it's my thumb! Hmmm... :)

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

best not think of the 'end'

just enjoy every step in the process

The Happy Whisk said...

Hope you find a new computer that works for you. I did a good bit of research before landing my new toy and I LOVE IT.

Love it.

Went a different way instead of desktop (what died), I went with a Samsung NotePro 12.2 tablet with matching Logitech bluetooth case and keyboard.

Most comfortable keys ever, and we've found so many uses for this over-sized tablet that acts like a laptop.

Only the battery life is the entire ding dong day long. No lie.

LOVE IT!

Hope you welcome some change and find yourself a new toy to play with it.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I woke up to snow, and had to go to work! UGH. So glad I have winter tires!

With a bit of searching, you may still be able to find a laptop that runs Windows 7. Even if you can't, there are settings you make make to Win8 to make it more 7/Vista-like. Good luck!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Mac - Well, I'm not thinking of my end, that's for sure!

Ivy - I never considered my laptop a toy. Never. I don't even play games on it. Now...when I had a computer at work, I was always playing games, well, before I discovered writing. Had to do something to pass the time. I always got my work done fast. Probably too fast.

Jennette - I probably won't go computer shopping until I have to, you know? I just hate it. Good thing I keep backup of my stories every night. So when the time does come, you won't hear me screaming that I lost my work! At least, I hope you don't. :)

dolorah said...

Windows 8.1 is out. My son-in-law has been pestering me to upgrade. But like you, I hate learning new things. At least i finally gave up XP, lol.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Donna - I hear Windows 10 is due out, and more like Windows 7. I hope it's true (on both counts). :)

The Happy Whisk said...

Oh really? See, these are all toys to me. Even my Internet-free laptop that's just for writing is a toy to write on.

But I then I also love the clean and cook and bake and think when I buy a new mop, that the new mop is a toy too. And every now and again I get new dish washing gloves. Just for the fun of it.

Wild times here at The Manor, that's for sure.