Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Wednesday Reads

Did you notice? I’ve cleaned the sidebar a little. It was getting kind of long. So basically, I moved the anthologies to the new Short Stories page up top. Eventually, I’ll consolidate some of the pages to reflect the series instead of individual books. But I’m not in the mood to do that now.

Here’s what I read in the past week:

Seventh Grave and No Body by Darynda Jones
Nov 15: “Seventh Grave and No Body” by Darynda Jones, the seventh book in the Charley Davidson series, an urban fantasy. Blurb from book:  Twelve. Twelve of the deadliest beasts ever forged in the fires of hell have escaped onto our plane, and they want Davidson’s jugular and serve her body to Satan for dinner. So there’s that. But Charley has more on her plate than just a mob of testy hellhounds. For one thing, her father has disappeared, and as she retraces his last steps, she learns he was conducting an investigation of his own, one that has Charley questioning everything she’s ever known about him. Add to that an ex-BFF who is haunting her night and day, a rash of suicides that have authorities baffled, and a drop-dead sexy fiancé who has attracted the attentions of a local celebrity, and Charley is not having the best week of her life. But all of that barely scratches the surface of her problems. Recent developments have forced her to become a responsible adult. To conquer such a monumental task, she’s decided to start small. Really small. She gets a pet. But how can she save the world against the forces of evil when she can’t even keep a goldfish alive? A tad north of hell, a hop, skip, and a jump past the realm of eternity, is a little place called Earth, and Charley Davidson, grim reaper extraordinaire, is determined to do everything in her power to protect it. We’re doomed. I love this series and this book only fueled that love. I did find it interesting that this little statement is on the cover of my book: “Bonus Chapter Inside Only in the Print Edition!” And what is that “Bonus Chapter”? Well… the last scene in Reyes’ point of view. I’m so glad I prefer paper books. Okay, when’s the 8th book coming out???

I don’t know about you, but the weather has been messing with my exercise schedule. While I’ve been going to the gym pretty regularly for the past 7-8 weeks, it’s not an automatic thing for me, you know? I can easily be distracted in not going. I still grab onto excuses to not go. And yes, I’ve been using the weather as a reason not to go. I know I have to stop it, but really, if I don’t HAVE to go out in the snow/sub-zero temps, SHOULD I? Especially when I hear about all the accidents on the road? I hate using it as an excuse, but I really don’t want to risk an accident either. Another reason I really hate this time of year.

So… Are you looking forward to some pumpkin pie next week? No? Then what’s your favorite dessert for the holiday? I swear, I could eat a whole pumpkin pie by myself. Who needs the rest of the meal? Not me! J

Happy reading!

Stacy

6 comments:

JeffO said...

That blurb seemed way too busy for me!

Our temperatures here have plummeted. At least we're out of the lake effect snow bands that are hammering areas west and north.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I thought the blurb was a bit much, too, but it's not like that was the selling point for me. Books 1-6 pretty much did that! :) So glad to hear you're not experiencing that mess up in Buffalo. I'll try and remember it can be worse the next time it's bad here! :)

Jennette Marie Powell said...

+1 for pumpkin pie! My daughter is making one from scratch this year. Also +1 for excuses to skip the gym! Definitely not worth risking an accident. :)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - From scratch-scratch, or from scratch using canned pumpkin? I've made it using canned pumpkin and pre-made crust, but I'm being super lazy this year.

Michael Seese said...

Pumpkin pie?

Blech!


Where I come from, pumpkins are meant to be ridden on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_roll

Stacy McKitrick said...

Michael - Okay, I think I've seen everything now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1_F_-mJGSE). Who the heck cleans up that mess? Still, if pumpkin pie isn't your thing, what dessert is?