Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Wednesday Reads and I Hate Allergies!

I’ve been taking Zyrtec and Flonase since April (I think). I asked my physician assistant how long I had to take it. He told me until there was snow on the ground. Well, I didn’t believe him and stopped taking them Sunday. My throat clearing came back. Damn it. Guess I have to start taking them again. I hate taking medications, though.

I had been taking Melatonin with those two (at night, of course), to help with my hot flashes (and to help me get some sleep), but I started having problems staying awake during the day. That wasn’t good. Really cut my writing outflow. Since I stopped taking it, my writing has picked back up, in fact I almost see the end in sight for this puppy!! Anyway, here’s what I read this week:

Jul 27: “What the Night Knows” by Dean Koontz, a horror at 442 pages long. Blurb from book: In the late summer of a long-ago year, a killer arrived in a small city. His name was Alton Turner Blackwood, and in the space of a few months he brutally murdered four families. His savage spree ended only when he himself was killed by the last survivor of the last family, a fourteen-year-old boy. Half a continent away and two decades later, someone is murdering families again, re-creating in detail Blackwood’s crimes. Homicide detective John Calvino is certain his own family—his wife and three children—will be targets in the fourth crime, just as his parent and sister were victims on that distant night when he was fourteen and killed their slayer. As a detective, John is a man of reason who deals in cold facts. But an extraordinary experience convinces him that sometimes death is not a one-way journey, that sometimes the dead return. It has been awhile since I became engrossed in a Dean Koontz book. This was one spooky story. Just the way a horror story should be. The only issue I had with the whole thing was the back and forth from past tense to present tense. Why the monster’s activities had to be told in present tense didn’t make any sense to me. In fact, it tended to pull me OUT of the story at times (then again, I’m not a huge fan of present tense stories). Other than that, I liked the story a lot. A very suspenseful ending.

Ghostly Liaison e-book is currently free. Sale runs through Sep 4th. So if you don’t have a copy yet, or you know someone who would be interested, now is the time to buy it!

So… What are you reading? I know I ask this question a lot, but I certainly HOPE you’re not reading the same book. J

Happy Reading!

Stacy

8 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Hubby is the one who usually suffers from sinus allergies. He swears by nasal irrigation. It's just saline. I've noticed he coughs less when he does that.

I couldn't do it because I can't stand sticking anything in my nose, but if you can take Flonase you can probably do the irrigation. Any Walmart carries it. Cheap, and less irritating than inhaling chemicals.

The reason hubby stopped using Flonase is because it made his sinuses raw after too much use. Over time, the chemicals over-dry your sinuses which can be more painful than the drip.

JeffO said...

Allergies have been a big problem for a lot of people this year--I hope you can keep yours under control. The Koontz book sounds interesting, though I have not really read any of his stuff in quite a while. Just finished reading Black House, Stephen King's and Peter Straub's sequel to The Talisman. Not bad.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - I'll keep that in mind re: Flonase. I always think that your body adapts to any medication as it is; one of the reasons I don't like taking them for an extended period of time. Don't know about that irrigation thing. I'm not all that fond of Flonase! Ugh!

Jeff - I read Black House long ago. I liked it, too.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I have allergies all year long. The only thing that works? Benadryl! Which makes me sleepy, so most of the time I just put up with the sniffles during the day.

I am currently reading Miracle Pie by Edie Ramer. I'm not usually into contemporary romance, but her books have just enough magical realism elements that I love them.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - The Zyrtec makes me sleepy, too, that's why I take it at night. But I'm beginning to think it's making me sleepy all day, too. I can't seem to stop yawning! Not sure it's worth a clear throat.

The Happy Whisk said...

Hope you're 100 percent, soon.

I'M ready many, many books. But I always am, love them. None are fiction, though.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - I don't read too many non-fiction books, so I guess we balance out. :)

The Happy Whisk said...

I love to read. Really getting into Kindle Paper White. Love that I can read it outside, bright as bright sun, doesn't matter.

Though I don't read my cookery, bake books or encyclopedias on the Kindle. For those I still buy flip books. Just got two more last week.

Have a great week and boogie boogie.