Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Wednesday Reads and I’m Still Sick (Ugh)

***Hmmm... I thought I set this up to post at 6am, but somehow it ended up as a draft. Here it is now.***

I know colds last about 7 days and it hasn’t been 7 days, but I still want this thing over with. Now. But does it listen to me? Nope. Stupid cold.

Here’s what I read this week:

Nov 15: “The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide” by Stephenie Meyer, a companion book to the Twilight series at 543 pages. Blurb from book: In 2005, Twilight introduced readers to Bella Swan and Edward Cullen, and a worldwide phenomenon was born. Since then, millions of readers have followed the breathtaking vampire love saga as it continued in New Moon and Eclipse and culminated in Breaking Dawn. Now, for the first time, Stephenie Meyer reveals secrets of the series as well as additional exclusive material taken directly from her personal notes, including character profiles, genealogical charts, maps, extensive cross-references, an in-depth conversation with author Shannon Hale, and much more. With nearly 100 gorgeous full-color illustrations and photographs throughout, this official guide allows readers to experience the Twilight Saga as never before, from Bella’s first day in Forks to the riveting final pages of Breaking Dawn. I was obsessed with the Twilight series. Read the series four times (yes, FOUR TIMES). I just couldn’t get enough of these books. Why? Because the characters just seemed real to me. Because I felt like I was Bella when I read them. I don’t recall ever being so obsessed about anything before (heck, it was this series that got me started in writing my own vampire romances). My daughter gave me this companion book well after my obsession with all things Twilight waned, though. I wasn’t sure if I would ever read it. Then Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined came out. My daughter got a copy (from the library) and said she’d give it to me to read next. So, what better time to read this companion book! While I found it repetitive in places and some of it I might have read from Stephenie Meyer’s website, it brought back some fond memories of when I was obsessed with the series. I also finished reading this the same day my daughter finished the book. Perfect timing!

FYI: The Illustrated Guide was one heavy book. The pages were made of thick stock so that the illustrations would show better. So it was like picking up a 1000 page (or more) book (and it was almost 2” thick). You could get a good workout just lifting the thing!

So… Have you ever been obsessed with anything? Did you get over it or are you still obsessed? I really didn’t think I would ever get over all things Twilight. I’m curious how I’ll react with the reimagined book. Guess I’ll find out soon.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments:

JeffO said...

When you didn't post yesterday morning, I thought you might have gotten sicker--perhaps the cold addled your brain a little! Hope you're feeling better.

As a kid, I got obsessed with the movie Jaws and, as a result, sharks. I'd like to believe as an adult I'm past obsessions. Instead, I'm 'deeply fascinated' with things.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I guess this adult isn't past obsessions, since I was over 50 when I read Twilight for the first time. Haha! Maybe that just makes me a kid at heart, huh?