Wednesday, June 15, 2016

No Wednesday Reads, A Concert, and Following Authors

Bad me. I haven’t finished reading a book this week. At the rate I’m going, I’ll be lucky to get 50% of my reading goal finished. At least I’m reading a good book. Of course, that kind of makes it worse. I WANT to read the book, but I HAVE to finish my revisions.

Sure, I could read on the treadmill, but it’s soooo nice to walk outside. I’ll save the treadmill for inclement weather. And winter. Brrr…

Don’t bother recommending audio books. I can’t stand being read to. My mind wanders too much that way. Hubby loves ’em, though. He may end up reading more than me this year.

Okay, maybe not. We do have two cruises scheduled this year (Hubby found one in December to make up for the one we had to cancel). I could easily catch up and pass him. Bwahahahaha!

And if I ever finish these revisions, I may take a week off and just read!

Anyway, I should have at least one book to report next Wednesday. I may cheat and read a novella next. Of course, is it really cheating when I have a couple of books in my TBR pile that are over 700 pages each? It all evens out, right?

****

Last night Hubby and I went to see The Monkees in concert. Yeah, it was only Mickey and Peter, but it was enough for me. Took me down memory lane. It helped they showed clips of the old show, too.

We did see The Monkees in concert twice before. Once in New Jersey (I believe it was their 20th reunion—Mike didn’t join them) and once in Columbus (all 4 were there then—what a treat!).

I think they were the first group I truly loved and it was all because of the television series. Yeah, the Beatles were big, and I liked them, but I didn’t SEE them every week. I didn’t connect with them like I did with Mickey, Davy, Mike, and Peter. Who cared if it was fiction? Certainly not this child!

I own most (if not all) their albums (original, in vinyl—they’re in the basement somewhere). Last year I was given the DVD series and I can’t wait to watch it (we will subject our son to it as soon as we’re finished with Batman).

Anyway, I had a nice time last night. But man, are they getting old. Oh wait. So am I.

Not as old as they are, though. Hee hee.

****

While at RAGT, I had a reader ask me about my books. When I told her my newest was out now, she looked flabbergasted. “How did I not know that?” she asked.

True—I haven’t really advertised. But I did send out a newsletter. And I blogged about it as well as mentioned it on Facebook. And anyone who follows me on Amazon or Goodreads was notified (or so I’m lead to believe).

Makes me wonder how much of a reader of mine could she have been. Maybe she mistook me for someone else. That’s highly possible.

But if she didn’t, wouldn’t it make sense that she would follow me some place? How about you? When do you know your favorite author has a new book out? I usually find out from SOMEONE!

Happy Reading!

Stacy

9 comments:

JeffO said...

I am just a little too young to really remember the Monkees from their original run, but I used to love the TV show, which aired on one of the minor stations in the mornings or something. The show (TV) was a lot of fun; glad you enjoyed the concert!

Regarding the reader, if she's like me, she wouldn't have necessarily known you had a new book out. I generally find out quite by accident about new books, even by favored authors, because I don't follow them on Twitter/Facebook/blogs, etc. There are still some of us Luddites out there!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I was 9 when the Monkees first aired. I'm sure my parents weren't too thrilled that my sister and I wanted to watch it, but they let us anyway. :) As for the reader... I find those that attend conventions usually sign up for newsletters and stuff. Several signed up for my newsletter at RAGT. Yay!

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I usually save the treadmill for winter or rainy/too hot/too cold weather. Or yesterday, when my dog was too tired because my husband took her on an extra long walk that morning. And so with you on audio books! I could never get into them, because you can't skim the boring parts.

I find out about new releases on blogs, or I sign up for the author's newsletter. But one of my newest faves doesn't do a newsletter, and her blog doesn't have an RSS feed, so I followed her on Amazon. They emailed me when her next book came out, so that worked!

Maria Zannini said...

Amazon usually emails me when an author whose books I've bought or browsed has a new one out.

re: Monkees
Loved the music. Hated the tv show. The constant cutaways to insane antics turned me off.

I can't believe those guys are still performing. They must be in their 70s.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - You should chastise your newest fave about not having an RSS feed. That's got to be easy to set up, isn't it? Seems like a lost opportunity to me.

Maria - I loved the antics of The Monkees. They looked like they were having so much fun. As for their age... Yep, they're looking it (probably why they were showing clips of their show while they sang -- haha!). But it was fun seeing them anyway.

Stephanie Faris said...

I can't even stand the heat when walking from my car into stores...I can't imagine walking in it. Even at 6am this morning when I let the dog out, the humidity was suffocating. So I stick with my treadmill...and it's now failing on me, so I have to buy a new one. :-(

Stacy McKitrick said...

Stephanie - The humidity was rather bad this morning and I didn't walk at all (got a sore throat and feel a little icky). But it sure is better in the morning than the afternoon. Not as hot, either.

The Happy Whisk said...

I love listening to old time radio and then at night, Tim reads out loud from the Kindle Paperwhite. I love hearing him read, it's so nice.

But if you're mind wanders, then I can understand not being into it.

Happy New Week :-)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - Happy New Week to you too! :)