Friday, January 20, 2017

An Anniversary, an Interview, and a Synopsis


Forty-one years ago today I joined the U.S. Army. Boy, was I young or what? FYI: I was young. 18 years old. Found this picture that was taken during basic training. That crooked hat cracks me up!

And to think a little over two and half years later I met Hubby. Wouldn't have happened if I hadn't joined. Well, re-enlisted. Met him during my second tour.

Yesterday Abbie Roads posted an interview she did with me (Author on the Couch). You can read it here http://abbieroads.com/2017/01/author-on-the-couch-stacy-mckitrick/. Go on over and comment and you’ll be in the running for an e-copy of Blind Temptation. I don’t know when the name will be drawn. Probably Monday. Yeah, Monday sounds good. J

Yesterday I also submitted Ghostly Interlude to my editor at Lyrical Press. Now I need to write a synopsis! Gosh, it’s been like forever since I last wrote one. I had PLANNED to write it during my little writing break, but you can see how that went. Haha!

So it looks like that’s what I’ll be doing today. Just another day to cut into my WIP. Of course, my WIP is also suffering because I’ve been hosting the Sizzle and Sass page all week. Facebook will kill time faster than anything. I swear!

I probably shouldn’t have made my goal to write 3000 words this week. I should have seen what was coming.

What else came? Books I promised to judge. And I can’t take credit for reading these books on Goodreads (or here) until after the contest winners have been announced. That’s not so bad, really, because I’ll eventually get credit. It’s just that I’ll be doing a little more reading than I thought. And reading has been a problem lately.

Sometimes I think my brain is out to get me. Or would that be my muse? Whatever it is, every time I start to read, my mind keeps going back to my WIP. How I can fix it. How I can make it better. What this character could do. So on and so on. I don’t know how many times I’ve had to re-read paragraphs. It’s very annoying.

So… Do you think I should just stop working on my WIP while I get my reading assignments finished? I don’t know if I can do that. And I don’t think stopping will get my mind to stop wandering over there. And truthfully, I’m glad my mind IS wandering over there. I was afraid it wouldn’t. I was afraid this story wasn’t working. I’m not feeling that fear so much anymore. But I sure am feeling the frustration when I can’t find the time to work on my WIP. Arrrgh!

Have a great Friday and hopefully I’ll see you over at Abbie’s!
 
Stacy

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I salute you!
I'd say writing tops reading, especially if you are on a roll.
Good luck with the synopsis. Takes me about twenty tries to get one close to ready.
And one more game... (If they were to make it to the Super Bowl, I just might have a heart attack.)

JeffO said...

If the brain refuses to release the WiP, there's probably a reason. Roll with it, I say. (Though don't neglect the synopsis; I'm guessing your editor thinks that's kind of important!). Nice pic--very sharp in your uniform! But if you were still in basic, why were you smiling? I figured basic made everyone miserable!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - I think I'll be a wreck on Sunday night.

Jeff - Actually, I believe that picture was taken right after graduation. Thus, the smile! :)