Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Wednesday Reads and Another Game Seven???

I hate game 7s. HATE. THEM. It shouldn’t have gone this far. Penguins should have won it by now. But no. They didn’t. And now I have to go through the torture of game 7. Ugh.

Here’s what I read the past week:

Book #34

Dates read: May 12-18
Title: “The Chosen
Year of publication: 2017
Author: J. R. Ward
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood #15
# of Pages: 521
Paper or plastic: Hard back
How obtained: Borrowed from daughter
Blurb from Book: Xcor, leader of the Band of Bastards, convicted of treason against the Blind King, is facing a brutal interrogation and torturous death at the hands of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. Yet after a life marked by cruelty and evil deeds, he accepts his solder’s fate, his sole regret the loss of a sacred female who was never his: the hosen Layla.
   Layla alone knows the truth that will save Xcor’s life. But revealing his sacrifice and his hidden heritage will expose them both and destroy everything Layla holds dear—even her role of mother to her precious young.. Torn between love and loyalty, she must summon the courage to stand up against the only family she has for the only man she will ever love. Yet even if Xcor is somehow granted a reprieve, he and Layla would have to confront a graver challenge: bridging the chasm that divides their worlds without paving the way for a future of even greater war, desolation, and death.
   As a dangerous old enemy returns to Caldwell, and the identity of a new deity is revealed, nothing is certain or safe in the world of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, not even true love…or destinies that have long seemed set in stone.
My thoughts: Fifteen books in this series and still so much story left to tell. Yep, lots of open ends to tidy up for future books. But the main story here was wrapped up just fine. Lots-of-happy-tears fine.  

Book #35

Dates read: May 19-22
Title: “Wicked Burn”
Year of publication: 2016
Author: Rebecca Zanetti
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series: The Realm Enforcers #3
# of Pages: 266
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Book: Simone Brightston knows she can beat the rap her enemies are pinning on her. An Irish witch is nobody’s fool, and she didn’t get to her position on the high council without serious power. But her cousins want her to hide out—and they somehow convinced her arch nemesis to play getaway driver.
   Of all the men she’s known, Nikolaj Veis is the hardest to intimidate. With his demon-dark eyes and his inscrutable beauty, he’s as desirable as he is dangerous. And he knows better than to underestimate Simone. So when he pulls up on a roaring bike and tells her to climb on or fight it out, she grabs a handful of jacket and holds on tight. Running from the law may not be the smartest plan. But when it comes to Nick, hot pursuit and a blazing fast ride are exactly with Simone’s looking for…
My thoughts: The covers on this series make them look like MC books (which is why it took me so long to read these), but they aren’t MC books. They’re about the witches looking to rid the making (and distribution) of a deadly drug. Probably why the publisher has since changed all the covers. Good move. I’m really enjoying this series and happy to see Simone finally got her own book (she’s been in other books from this series and from The Dark Protectors series). Lots of action. Lots of romance. I eat this stuff up.

Book #36

Dates read: May 22-23
Title: “Talen”
Year of publication: 2016
Author: Rebecca Zanetti
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series: Dark Protectors (tie-in to the Realm Enforcers series)
# of Pages: 77
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback (at end of Wicked Burn)
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads: She’ll love him forever . . . but he can’t make her obey . . .
   The war is over. Danger has passed. Cara Kayrs is healed after decades of illness and ready for a break.
   Too bad her brooding, alpha vampire husband can’t seem to change gears. In their twenty-five years together Talen Kayrs has learned to sense every shiver of her body, to ignite her desire with a word or a look. She would think he could learn she’s not some fragile damsel in distress.
   But Talen is on edge, watching their backs, treating her like she’s made of glass. Like there’s something following them, a deadly threat that somehow none of their intelligence has uncovered. It’s enough to drive a woman crazy, and Talen has plenty of those tendencies already.
   But what’s even more maddening is that he seems to be right . . .
My thoughts: Talan and Cara started the whole Dark Protector series in Fated and I find it funny that it was my least favorite of the series. This one is no different. I just don’t like Talen. Good thing he didn’t stop me from reading the rest of the series or I would have missed some good reading. Still, Talen is just TOO alpha for this reader. If you’re into that kind of character, you’ll enjoy every bit of him, but to read this book you should read the rest of the series first.

So… What sport drives you nuts?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

They're getting as bad as the Steelers - no, can't make a decisive win, can't dominate. It has to be interesting.
Let's hope we survive this...

JeffO said...

Actually, Alex, I think they pretty much dominated that game last night--they just couldn't score!

I really don't like Ottawa.

Maria Zannini said...

Even me, a non sports fan, (and ex-Chicagoan) was sick with worry when the Cubs were in the World Series. You just want it to be over--and that your team wins. :)

The Happy Whisk said...

Sorry it's making you batty.

Jennifer Shirk said...

I love baseball--only when the Red Sox are playing though. LOL

You know I've never read JR Ward yet. I'm so behind...

Stacy McKitrick said...

Sorry for being absent yesterday. Hubby had doctor appointments and then we ended up at the ER (he's fine now--honest!). Boy! What a day. Anyhoo...

Alex - I shall be a nervous wreck all day today. I believe I felt the same way last year, too, so what's new, right? Go Pens!!

Jeff - I'm beginning to really hate all the teams we're playing who are out to just injure. Do the Penguins do that, too and I don't notice it? Hmmm...

Ivy - If it's not the Penguins making me batty, it's something else. I think I'm just batty to begin with. :)

Jennifer - There were six BDB books out when I borrowed the first one from my daughter. I then promptly told her to bring the rest of them over. I binge read these books. Sometimes I think that's the way to go with series. I love the BDB series (and so glad there's a Legacy series to tide me over between BDB books).