Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Wednesday Reads and I’m a Little Mad

Here’s what I read the past week:

Book #53

Dates read: October 5-14
Title: “Dark Legacy”
Year of publication: 2009
Author: Anna DeStefano
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series: Legacy #1
# of Pages: 307
Paper or plastic: Mass market paperback
How obtained: Free from a convention
Blurb from book: “Die!” scream her nightmares. The voice is her sister’s, the compulsion stronger than any ordinary dream.
    Maddie Temple can’t go through this again. Her twin has been in a coma for the last ten years. Their psychic link was severed. At least, that’s what she thought.
    But there’s a lot Maddie doesn’t know—about the 200-year-old curse on her family, about the shadowy group that wants to exploit the Temple twins’ powers for themselves, about the sexy psychiatrist offering to help her. The only way to find the answers and avoid being pulled into the abyss of madness is to trust her heart and confront her dark legacy.
My thoughts: This is one of those books that I nearly threw across the room when I reached the end. Why? Because the ending was not satisfying. Wait, it would have had to have an ending for that to happen. This story isn’t over. Not by a long-shot (I still don’t know what the 200-year-old curse is!). It’s a tactic some authors use to get you to buy the next book, but this book would have had to be great to rope me in, and it wasn’t. I saw the low rating (and bad reviews) on Goodreads, but gave it a try anyway because it’s a romance. Except it really wasn’t (not in the way I like them). Yay me for sticking with it. Not so yay for the author, because I really have no desire to continue reading this series. Not when I don’t trust the author.

Can I be a little mad? And no, this has nothing to do with the book. I arrived to what I thought was an appointment with my radiation oncologist on Monday in preparation for radiation treatments (which are to start in Nov). But… he said the appointment was for the following Monday. Not so, I said. I won’t be in town (so I know I wouldn’t have agreed to that date!). He wants to wait until after I see my surgeon, which I see tomorrow. Luckily, he can see me that day, after that appointment. The not so lucky part was that he hinted that the margins might not have come back good enough and I might need more surgery.

More surgery? I specifically told my surgeon to take MORE than was needed. That I wasn’t worried about disfigurement or anything like that. So yeah, I’m kind of pissed. I sure hope the radiation oncologist was wrong because I really don’t want to have to go through another surgery. And really, why should I? Won’t the radiation kill whatever cancer cells I might have remaining? I’ll let you know Friday what I find out.

So… Have you read any books this year that you wanted to toss after reaching the end? What did you do with it? Like all of my free reads this year, I’m giving mine away (via my newsletter), but I feel so bad about the ending, I’m also giving away a bonus book. Gotta keep my subscribers HAPPY!

Happy Reading!

Stacy

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Prayers that it's not the case and you're done with surgery.

JeffO said...

Modern medicine is awesome with what they can do for people. Modern medical practices, on the other hand, can really suck. Too many moving parts, too many people not talking to each other. I hope you can get by without more surgery.

Regarding the book, I recently read Faulkner's The Wild Palms. At the end, the book kind of fell into my lap, along with my jaw. When I got my mouth back together right I said, "What the eff was that all about?" Maybe I'm just not smart enough to "get" it, I don't know. Didn't throw the book, though.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Thanks, Alex. I hope so too!

Jeff - I'm not so sure I'd "get" any of the classics and one of the reasons I kind of stay away from literary books. I don't like feeling dumb.

The Happy Whisk said...

Ugh. Sorry he didn't listen and take more. Here's hoping you don't have to go back.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Thanks, Ivy.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I have that book! LOL. Mine is e, I think it was free. Which was a good thing, because I think I got maybe three chapters in before I moved on. I just couldn't connect with the main character, IIRC. Props to you on finishing, but bummer about the end! So I guess I'm not disappointed I didn't finish. :)

Ugh on the surgery! Hope you don't need it. That's what happened to my coworker - she was mad, too. But went through the second surgery, then radiation... and was cancer-free three months later! So it will end up well, either way--we're rooting for you!

Maria Zannini said...

Re: surgery
Well that sucks. I hope for the best.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - I don't think I've ever looked forward to a doctor appointment more than I am right now. I want answers!!

Thanks, Maria. I think it sucks too! :)