Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Wednesday Reads and When it Rains…

First off, I’m finishing this post up after returning from a wonderful night in Pittsburgh. Plus, the Penguins won! Didn’t enjoy driving home in the snow, though…

Here’s what I finished reading this week:

Book #3

Dates read: January 31 – February 6
Title: “Blood Fury”
Year of publication: 2018
Author: J. R. Ward
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series: Black Dagger Legacy #3
# of Pages: 411
Paper or plastic: Hardback
How obtained: Borrowed from daughter
Blurb from book: A vampire aristocrat, Peyton is well aware of his duty to his bloodline: mate with an appropriate female of his class and carry on his family’s traditions. And he thought he’d found his perfect match—until she fell in love with someone else. Yet when his split-second decision in a battle with the enemy endangers the life of another trainee, Peyton has to face the idea that his future, and his heart, actually lie with another.
    Novo, as a female in the Black Dagger Brotherhood’s training program, feels like she has to prove herself to everybody—and she has no interest in being distracted by falling in love But when Peyton proves to be so much more than a rich playboy, she is forced to confront the tragedy that has broken her soul and closed her off from love.
    As the two grapple with Novo’s past and Peyton’s present, another couple must contend with an erotic connection that is unparalleled—and potentially scandalous. Saxton, who has had his heart broken, discovers in himself a deep-seated attraction to Ruhn, a new member of the household. But will the other male explore the connection? Or will he close his mind and his heart to what could be true love…and cost Saxton everything?
My thoughts: Two romances in one book! I loved it. Then again, I love this series, and the series it’s spun from and the world and just everything about it.

When you make one appointment doesn’t it seem like another pops up and then another? When it rains, right? That’s what I’m faced with anyway.

It started with this funny mole-like thing on my temple. Turns out it’s cancerous (basil cell carcinoma, not melanoma, thank goodness). They wanted to schedule the Mohs surgery for Feb 5th. But I was going to Pittsburgh the next day and asked if that would be possible. They didn’t think it would be a good idea and since I wasn’t NOT going to the hockey game, they moved the surgery to Feb 12th. All is good until this past Monday.

I get a call from the cardiology department regarding my stress echo test. I expected the call, because I told them I was ready for the test now (I was supposed to have it back in November, but with all the surgeries and radiation, they said to wait until I was finished with that). The tech told me it was scheduled for Feb 13th. Hmmm… I told her I had Mohs surgery the day before. If they didn’t like me traveling to Pittsburgh and going to a hockey game, I wasn’t sure how’d they feel about a stress test.

Couldn’t I do the stress echo another week? Seems not. My doctor is being deployed the week after for six months and didn’t want to wait that long. But if I was okay with using a different doctor, I could probably do that. Didn’t really want another doctor (I’m already on my second cardiologist), so I said I’d call dermatology and see what they said.

Turns out they’re sort of okay with it. I’m not on any blood thinners and I’ll be at the same hospital. They’ll just wrap me up good on Monday and said to stop in on Tuesday if it starts leaking after the stress test.

The cardiology nurse said to remind them about my surgery. I said I’d probably have this huge bandage on my head and she replied that they aren’t always the brightest to spot that sort of thing. Gosh, don’t you love it when your cardiology department has a sense of humor?

So… How’s the weather in your neck of the woods? Did Liam come visit you? And don’t you just love these storm names?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I hope they are brighter than that. Sorry about more surgery. At least you'll get it and the test over with next week.

JeffO said...

Who's Liam? I don't do winter storm names, I think it's just the Weather Channel trying to hype ratings. Next thing you know, we'll be naming particularly heavy thunderstorms, and then really strong wind gusts.

Anyway, we're due for 10-15 inches today. Sunday last week they said we were getting three inches, we ended up with about a foot. Can't wait to see what my driveway looks like at 4 pm. My boss pre-emptively closed the office today.

Good luck with all the medical procedures. I'll hope for good results on all!

Maria Zannini said...

The sad truth is the older we get the greater our chances of doctor visits.

Now you have me worried. I have a spot on my temple too, but my doc said it was an age spot. She barely looked at it though. I hope she's right.

Let us know how things work out.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - I'd like to think all my doctor appointments will end next week, but I know better. Thanks again for mentioning my box set!

Jeff - Liam is the storm that's headed your way (if he's not already there). I don't know who started with naming the storms, maybe it was just the Weather Channel.

Maria - I have other spots on my forehead that I was told wasn't basal cell, but then the dermatologist ALSO looked and said the same. If you're worried, you can always request a dermatologist to look at it, but you can Google basal cell and see if your spot looks like that. Mine had a hard ridge to it and you could see the blood vessels (a major sign, according to my doctor).

Jennette Marie Powell said...

UGH with all the surgery, especially one right on the heels of another! Here's hoping everything comes out OK!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - Well, this upcoming "surgery" is in a doctor's office and is local anesthetic. I'm sure I won't feel all that great afterward, though.