Monday, May 13, 2019

Electrical Mystery

So… the circuit breaker to the kitchen island has been blowing (or is that tripping?) a lot recently. The island consists of the dishwasher, garbage disposal, and two outlets. It seems to go out when I’m not using anything electrical.

I called the builder (since the house is still under warranty). They sent an electrician. He pulled stuff out from under the sink and did his thing (whatever that thing is). Went into the garage and looked at the breaker box (or I assume he did, because he went into the garage—it’s not like I followed him in there). Came back and said it was the dishwasher since all the wiring was fine. Said he would put the order in and I should hear back from the appliance people.

Two days later, still no call. So I called the builder back. They knew nothing of this and said I had to call the appliance people. Sure, fine, give me the number.

Appliance guy came over on Friday. Plugged his little doohickey into the dishwasher and connected it to his laptop. Nothing. No surges. No outages. Nothing listed to show that anything went wrong. The dishwasher is fine. In fact, when I told him when the circuit was blowing, that it happened after the dishwasher ran (and the dishwasher always finished the cycle), he said it couldn’t possibly be the dishwasher. Still, he did his thing and checked everything twice. Wasn’t happy that the garbage disposal and outlets were on the same breaker as the dishwasher, but there wasn’t anything he could do about that. And since I wasn’t using anything when it blew, said it was most likely a bad breaker.

Hmmm… Wouldn’t the electrician have noticed THAT???

Appliance guy said for us to call our project manager and let him know what’s going on. But as he was leaving, he asked if I was okay with the rest of the appliances (range and microwave). I told him I didn’t like the fact that the microwave didn’t have a light, otherwise they were fine.

He stopped. “It should have a light,” he said. “Let’s go check it out.”

Sure enough, he pointed to where the light is located (which is not easy to see since the inside of the microwave is a dark grey and the bulb is covered with a black mesh thingy). The light should come on when the door is open. It never had (which is why I thought one didn’t exist).

He looked up the model and confirmed it did indeed have a light. He ordered one and will install it this Wednesday. Yay!

After appliance guy left, I called Hubby and told him about calling the project manager (since he had his number on his phone). Nothing the PM can do, but he said to call the builder and he would put a push on the request. So I called the builder. An hour later I get a call from the electrician.

I like it when the PM pushes! The electrician wil be back today to replace the circuit breaker. I hope. And then I hope it doesn’t happen again, because our warranty is almost up (we closed on May 29, 2018).

I guess it could be worse. The circuit could have waited until after the warranty had expired. Isn’t that what stuff does when they’re under warranty? Wait for the expiration date? Sure feels that way sometimes.

So… how was your weekend? Do anything fun? It was pretty quiet here, which was fine by me.

Happy Monday!

Stacy

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

At least they owed up and will be fixing it - and under warranty!
Good thing the guy looked at your microwave.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

You're right, surprising that circuit breaker didn't wait until your warranty was out before it started acting up. Hope you get it fixed this time! And LOL about the microwave light. That would bug me too. I'm sure we'll find plenty of little things like this once our house is finished.

My weekend was quiet too - not a bad thing! We went out to eat for Mothers Day so no one had to cook or clean - nice! And since we went to a sports bar-type place (Elsa's), it wasn't crowded. :D

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - Yeah, I'm really glad he asked me about my other appliances!!

Jennette - We ended up at El Toro and was seated right away (helps when there are only 3 of you!). :D